Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

Last week was my last at work, and it was just a very difficult week emotionally. I didn’t sleep well. I have been busy the last two days interviewing people for web design and social media marketing work, plus legal help. Next I’m off to a yoga retreat center and I’m really looking forward to some time to processs all the big changes in my life these past few months.

And so in the middle of all of this personal transition, I learn that my stepson is dying. Last rights were delivered last night. I haven’t received word yet whether he has passed.

Adam is profoundly mentally impaired. He outlived every prediction for his life. He had 22 surgeries before age 2 and was written up in medical journals. He outlived his mother. He was 34.

He was supposed to have never walked but he never got the memo. He was like a very big toddler to care for - exhausting. He was always the most popular kid at his home even though he was nonverbal and could only communicate simple needs.

He was always in a home during my marriage to his dad, but we had him with us for the holidays - usually alone, with no one else to support us caring for a kid who grabbed at the books and crumpled any papers we left out and slept only a few hours at night.

I had never been around special needs people much before him. I was a part of his IEPs, the planning sessions with his e, whole care team for his learning objectives - this year he will finally press a button to indicate he wants to go outside, or learn to eat with a fork, or will get potty trained. It took round the clock care to keep him alive and safe and it was incredible to see the bonds his care workers had with him, even though he likely never knew their names, and we were never even sure if he recognized his own father.

My ex’s mom lived across the country and had little to do with us. Adam’s mother also moved far away from him when he Adam was young, leaving his dad and me his only relatives on the East coast. Because Adam was on Medicaid, this affected where we lived, so that he could keep his spot in his home, and meant we were the ones who had to be involved when he was hospitalized. My parents had no empathy for the situation and never helped. Adam had a huge impact on my first marriage. His dad and I were alone in the responsibility for his care but fortunately the people in his home were amazing and I don’t know what we would have done without them. I never could understand the complete devotion they had to Adam who gave so little in return, but it was a wonder to see how much love people felt for him. I got to see something pure in people because of him.

I haven’t sen Adam in many years. He was in NC and I was in NY. He wouldn’t have known me and the time and money to travel there didn’t make sense. But I still love him as my own child.

23 Likes

Lots of hugs for you:

14 Likes

I’m so sorry! This is deeply sad news.

11 Likes

Thank you. Adam passed today at 4:40 am. I have been sobbing all day.

19 Likes

I’m so sorry.

11 Likes

Thank you

9 Likes

I’m so sorry.

Hugs.

11 Likes

Hugs from me too. I’m sorry.

10 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear this. I hope you can find some peace.

10 Likes

My sympathies on your loss…

:sob:

8 Likes

Minor irritations on my birthday today.
Was going to meet up with a friend from Europe on the MMORPG we like, and scheduled maintenance has entered its second day of delays. Also, the local ATM is now refusing to authorize my card, despite my bank in the States saying there’s no issue on their end. So, I can buy certain groceries, but no hot food from the restaurants in my area because they only deal in cash, and not enough on my other bank’s card to justify a withdraw.
No joke, this is typical for my birthday. I can remember one in the last 15 years that wasn’t just “meh”.

14 Likes

:tada: :birthday:

7 Likes

9 Likes

I’m so, so sorry… sending good vibes your way…

8 Likes

I’m so sorry. I hope you and your family are doing as well as you can.

10 Likes

Happy birthday, and my sympathies. I feel the same about my own birthdays. Hope it’s fixed soon!

11 Likes

Day 2 of a very bad migraine. Trying to find a doctor. Getting redirected to a migraine trigger when I try to find the provider directory. Eventually tracking down contact info for my default doctor:

“We WELCOME ALL Insurance including Commercial, Medicare, and Medicaid”

"To Schedule or Cancel an Appointment

please CALL 703.535.5568"

In other words, “WE DON’T SERVE YOUR KIND!”

9 Likes

And I managed to lose my albuterol inhaler in an ancounter with a dog. I’m not sure which one. There was one time I had to back across the street, and there was another time I had to run in panic because the beast-walker was running.

P.S. Finally found it, despite a few more panics on the way. By a fence, away from the path, where I’d been running in panic.

8 Likes

dorothy-birthday

12 Likes

On the other hand, I’m not even close to being as angry as the game trolls who are suffering through an extra day of downtime. My penchant for only playing solo or with one or two specific people feels justified.

8 Likes