Game of Thrones, final season discussion ☠ SPOILERS WITHIN ☠

I’m not putting spoiler tags on any of this because this show has been out since 2010, and the last season was 2 freakin’ years ago.

I kind of expect the White Walkers to win, because despite all the magic & dragons & shit, this ain’t no fairytale.

That said, I really hope that:

• Bran does not turn out to be the Night King as many fans suspect, or into any kind of Deux ex Machina. (That’s just lazy writing, either way.)

• That Tyrion lives somehow and gets to marry the hooker of his dreams.

• That Dany & Jon don’t just keep on fucking around, once they realize they’re related. (Because Ewww. There’s already been enough incest on this show to last several lifetimes. It’s like GRRM has a fetish for it, or something.)

• That Cersei dies slowly and painfully for all the havoc she’s wreaked on Westeros.

• That the Hound finally gets to kill the Mountain.
    (Cell Block Tango; he has it comin’.)

• That Brienne and Tormund somehow survive, fall in love, and have huge red-blonde babies.

• I hope Bron finally gets his castle, even if it’s just some burn-out ruins.

9 Likes

I like your list!

But I’m actually hoping Tyrion gets to marry a woman of standing, who realizes how lucky she is.

And I’m now going to hum “he had it coming” for the rest of the evening, thanks to you!

5 Likes

That works too; I only mentioned his lady love being a hooker because he seems to have a real thing for them, which is no big deal.

5 Likes

There are only six episodes left.

George R. R. Martin has not been in the driver’s seat for a while. His chance to wrap everything up his way was to publish the last book before the TV show got there, and that didn’t happen.

4 Likes

I hope he finds his first wife, who (book spoilers) wasn’t actually a hooker; she was just threatened by Tywin with death unless she “confessed” to being one. I was very upset when they cut that out of the scene where Jaime freed Tyrion, in favour of the story of the Lannister cousin “smushing beetles.”

As for

There’s more to the Maggy the Frog prophecy in the books than was shown in the show. Book readers know what Cersei’s fate will be (more or less; Google “Valonqar” if you want it spoiled for you).

3 Likes

RE, your book spoiler:

That would have made for a much better scene!

Maybe I do need to read the books… but just like the tv series I can wait until it’s almost finished to start.

Just like Bob ‘waiting in vain’ ain’t my jam…

As for Cersei’s fate, I’ve read enough fan theory to know what probably lies ahead for her, and if she’s killed by her own brother/lover’s hand nothing would be more devastating to her… the problem is it would probably also utterly destroy Jaime as well, even if he lives.

2 Likes

Each one is 90 minutes long iirc, which is nine hours of plot or basically a full season.

5 Likes

I hear you, but I wonder how much of that is due to feeling like ‘birds of a feather’. He knows what most women with choices think of him. That’s why I like the looks Sansa has given him: she’s catching on to the fact that he’s a helluva lot more than he seems. THAT’s the kind of woman he needs, not what he thinks he can get, you know?

Not saying that I think those two end up together (again). It’s just, you can tell how smart someone is by how much they grow to respect Tyrion and see him as an equal.

9 Likes

Quite a good deal of it, I think.

Despite being noble, Tyrion has been an outcast since birth; he even says it himself that he has an affinity for other outcasts - Jon, Bran after his fall, Sansa, Varys, Dany…

I agree that people who can see past Tyion’s height tend to be smarter than the average bear.

9 Likes

Rarely do you see a man so smitten. She’s just not into him. At all. I could see something developing from her odd relationship with Jamie, though.

8 Likes

I love that exchange between Tormund and the Hound.

T: I have a beauty waiting for me back at Winterfell. If I ever get back there. Yellow hair, blue eyes, tallest woman you’ve ever seen, almost as tall as you.
H: Brienne of Tarth.
T: You know her?
H: You’re with Brienne of f***ing Tarth.
T: Well, not with her yet, but I see the way she looks at me.
H: How does she look at you? Like she wants to carve you up and eat your liver?
T: You do know her!

14 Likes

Tormund is a treasure. i love the faces he makes at her, haha.

5 Likes

Brienne-of-Tarth-and-Tormund-Giantsbane

8 Likes

To be fair, Brienne doesn’t know him and is suspicious of everyone until she does.

Not that I blame her, mind you.

If they had a chance to actually talk without the threat of war or the world ending, who knows?

Of course, if after that she still isn’t feeling him, then too damn bad for Tormund and what he wants.

Jaime and Brienne isn’t going to happen, IMO; I don’t see the KingSlayer surviving, even though the character has grown on me…

9 Likes

omg omg omg

3 Likes

Very funny (no actual spoilers):

3 Likes

i love the difficult position that HBO has put them in: they HAVE to go out and do press junkets, but they can’t say a damn thing. it’s got to be so frustrating for everyone.

9 Likes

Which is why I appreciated how Colbert handled it. He made it a fun segment worth watching, but no danger that Kit would accidentally spill the beans.

7 Likes

Colbert is such a pro. he’s so good at thinking fast on his feet. i love his interviews more than anybody else’s because he never purposely puts a guest in an uncomfortable position, but he’s able to get some serious questions in, keep things fun, but also keep them on their toes wondering what he’s going to do or say next.

7 Likes

Can I preemptively request that people spoiler tag any discussion of the trailer, please?

I realise you all probably would anyway but I’ve given up tagging discussion of the last few series, so I just want to make sure that we’re all on the same page here; if it’s already been broadcast a year ago, have at it but let’s keep speculation about the final series blurred until it’s over.

Tangentially, does anyone else hate those stupid “next week on Whatever” segments at the end of TV shows? Why would anyone want to ruin the surprise and/or the joy of speculating about what happens next?

4 Likes