Genderbender: Sexual Identity and Gender Identity

2 Likes

Now itā€™s a party! [Runs to grab the twister gameā€¦]

Fun song. I donā€™t think I have heard it before.

6 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot more where that came from.

4 Likes

Yeah, yeah. You wizards just canā€™t miss a chance to talk about octarine, can you?

10 Likes

I know of the series but havenā€™t read any of it. :flushed: Thank you for the link.

3 Likes

It looks like a form of dance to me, with the ballet-style uniforms and the slow-motion video replays.

4 Likes

:open_mouth: I envy you: so many treasures yet in store!

It took me forever to dip my toe in because Iā€™m intimidated by long, epic series. Fortunately thatā€™s not what discworld is. These are works of humor, with bits of the authorā€™s opinions poking through, and, generally, each book stands alone.

10 Likes

Where I live we have two football (soccer) teams.
Gas heads and shitheads.

2 Likes

Thank you for the guide. I too am a bit intimidated. :open_mouth:

5 Likes

That guide is missing The Shepherds Crown off the end of the Tiffany Aching books.

My advice would be pick one of Mort or Guards! Guards! and read the rest of that series. When the BBC did their Big Read survey in 2003, Mort came in at 65 and Guards! Guards! was at 69.

7 Likes

I grew up in Carlisle and you usually ended up supporting Carlisle United because it was something to do on a Saturday afternoon.

5 Likes

Last week I discovered the YouTube channel of Infamous Sphere, who does some great reviews and analysis of (mostly) queer cinema. I have done a crazy binge watch of these over the past few days. Discovered several interesting-sounding movies I had not known of before.

4 Likes

Okay, hereā€™s my question.

We hear a lot about trans issues but it all seems to be transgender. Where do transvestites fit into the picture now?

5 Likes

My perspective is that all ā€œtrans-ā€ means is moving from one place or state to another, so everybody is trans in some sense. It conveys the reality that life is always in flux. Movement through time is overlapping series of transitions.

The idea of transvestism requires buying into the notion that clothes code a gender binary - basically one would need to buy into that, and also have some consensus as to what clothes represented what. In some areas of queer culture, that gender binary is never assumed, so just as gender can mix and match traits associated with any gender, something analogous is done with clothing. I myself have never bought into the notion of clothes being sex nor gender specific.

One thing I have noticed people have become more vocal about is establishing that many (most?) of those who consider themselves to be cross dressers are not gay. I guess people often used to assume that they could predict a personā€™s sexual orientation by the gender-coding of their clothes. But that doesnā€™t work very well.

My impression is that a transvestite is one who tries to convey a specific (often hyper-exaggerated) sex/gender performance. Trying to pass within the conventions of what is expected of an idealized man or woman. But the genderqueer will often mash things up without trying to pass as either pole on a continuum. Such as wearing a tuxedo jacket with a skirt, or other more subtle combinations.

5 Likes

Transvestites may or may not be transgender depending on which definition you use. I use the inclusive definition introduced at London Pride in the mid 90s, because transphobes rarely distinguish between people with gender dysphoria and people who just choose to dress in clothes of the opposite gender. There are other reasons why the inclusive definition offers more legal protection to everyone involved, but Iā€™m not really in a good state to explain right now.

The original and now nearly obsolete definition of transgender actually excluded people who had dysphoria and wanted confirmation surgery, and was only used by full time transvestites. Most of those people will now be in their late 70s at least.

13 Likes

Social conservatives are steadily running out of media willing to pretend that homosexuality doesnā€™t exist.

[quote]
CBSā€™s The Young and the Restless may finally be going where it has long feared to tread. In recent weeks, a slo-mo attraction has been brewing between Tessa (Cait Fairbanks) and Mariah (Camryn Grimes), two supposedly straight women who are in safe but unsatisfying relationships with men. Until now, this potential romance has mostly consisted of longing looks, meaningful pauses and a tender touch here and there, but the Sapphic action suddenly escalated in the August 3 episode when Tessa and Mariah locked lips.

One might assume weā€™re off to the races with a Teriah (so much better than Messa!) affair, but not so fast: Sources at the soap tell us that execs at CBS are being super skittish about this storyline. None will comment about it on the record and thereā€™s also a gag order banning the two stars from talking about it to the press.[/quote]

7 Likes

This happened to me ā€“ though not with forms, alcohol, hotels, and cars, but in other ways. I developed Crohnā€™s disease at age 9, in the mid-60ā€™s. In elementary school, it wasnā€™t too bad; I was given permission to just get up and go to the restroom without a word. But in middle school it was awful ā€“ I had to raise my hand, ask permission, get a hall pass, go to the rest room where there were no doors on the stalls on purpose. And this was several times a day. People noticed, and worse, I felt so different, weird, and inferior. So I feel for you.

When older, and hopefully happier, we have to look at such early experiences as things to learn from, if possible. I think it gave me a more open-minded viewpoint, even before I was able to deal with the early trauma.

12 Likes

Gah.

I remember how they used to do that in the 80s because of the War On Drugs, but Iā€™m surprised they did that way back in the 60s.

Terribly sorry you had to go through that, regardless of the stupid bureaucratic reasons for taking the doors of the stalls.

10 Likes

Late 60ā€™s but yeah.
Hey, LC.

5 Likes

Hi.

I didnā€™t know you were here. Welcome.

5 Likes