Genderbender: Sexual Identity and Gender Identity

These are big for my relatives who have lots of kids. When you open the box, the balloons are supposed to be the color of the baby’s gender – pink or baby-blue. Instead, some joker put in a bunch of colors. So the bride and groom still didn’t know the gender.

My cousin did one where they wheeled out a vanilla frosted cake and she cut into it to reveal bright pink dyed cake inside as the gender reveal for the party.

6 Likes

Ohhhhh ok. I thought there was some mechanical failure and something else was supposed to happen. The dad looks so disappointed. Kind of a shitty time for a practical joke.

And now I want cake. Not enough to have a kid… well maybe if it’s wedding cake with raspberry filling… No must resist. And I just put more thought into having kids than most parents.

2 Likes

I feel for you. I’m not faceblind but I don’t process most faces properly. Some faces I’m fine with, but a lot of them I have trouble remembering and it can take me weeks to get the the stage where I can recognise someone I see every day out of the context I normally see them in. My best guess as to what’s going on is that my brain tries to process them as objects rather than faces. It’s like I can recognise a cup, but I struggle to recognise that this is the same cup I was using yesterday, especially if it’s among a bunch of similar cups.

8 Likes

It’s not as bad here in GA, but my sister had that for a while, too, but for UGA (where her husband went) and GA Tech (which she was a fan of).

Sports ball is weird.

6 Likes

I’m still boggled anyone thinks this deserves an entire party around it. My one brother told me he and his wife didn’t care and wanted to go with gender neutral decor/baby clothes anyhow; the other one mentioned the baby’s sex was determined at the most recent ultrasound when he told me they were expecting.

Of course having a baby is a major life-changing experience etc. etc., and sure me as auntie started planning knitted gifts as soon as I got off the phone but… meh. I’m glad I was born into a family of mostly introverts. I couldn’t stand the hype otherwise.

7 Likes

You and me both; it’s times like these when I’m genuinely glad I don’t live within casual visiting distance of my extended family, because if Facebook is any guide, one of them seems to be having some kind of baby party every month or so. A gender reveal party! A third trimester party! A baby shower! A meet-the-baby party! I’m very proud of you for making a baby, good job on the rumpty-bumpty, but I seriously don’t care that much, people.

When I mentioned how silly I thought gender reveal parties were to my dad, he seemed aghast. “But what if it’s a boy, and someone gives him girl-colored clothes? He’d have to wear pink!” Oh, dad.

7 Likes

I also assumed it was a mechanical failure. Like, the balloons were supposed to lift a card saying “It’s A Boy” or “It’s A Girl”, but the card was too damn heavy. I was also confused by the person saying you’re supposed to pop the balloons, and the dad saying later on that there was no card, so they still don’t know. I was literally expecting a card with something written on it.

Not to mention that pink and blue are more or less the same color to colorblind people, who are about 10% of the population.

6 Likes

I have a mild case. A small band of the greens look gray but there is always something funny about those grays. Like there is a green sheen I can almost see out of the corner of my eye but not when I look directly at the color. Hard to explain other than I can feel my brain being unsure about how to render those greens. I didn’t realize this until I was in my late 20’s or early 30’s.

5 Likes

And that’s why traditionally very young babies are given white, green, or yellow clothes.

Sheesh, it’s not like ultrasounds have been around that long…

Glad you have that distance thing working for you

6 Likes

My trans friend has a lot of interesting things to say about these so-called gender reveals. 'Cause, maybe a fetus doesn’t have a gender yet, just sex characteristics.

16 Likes

Yes, the whole idea gives me an off feeling.

8 Likes

I’m still not sure how the parents are supposed to know the gender of the baby before it’s able to consciously express gender.

11 Likes

it’s more of a “genital reveal party”

22 Likes

Love it!

This term must be popularised!

Only way to stop it.

11 Likes

Sounds like my kind of party

13 Likes

Just place your keys in the bowl over there and we will be showing our genitals in the backyard by the horseshoe pit. Grab something to drink on the way. Wieners and taco’s for lunch…

11 Likes

To prospective buyers?

5 Likes

The SM slave auction is two doors down at the Murphy’s house. It’s the house with the nice water feature.

5 Likes

They like water sports, do they?

5 Likes

Lets just say they like to have slip’n slide parties and yet don’t own a slip’n slide. :wink:

4 Likes