Genderbender: Sexual Identity and Gender Identity

We got a short email a while back from a brother, who referred to one of the kids as “they” for the first time. We are curious, wanted to know what’s up, but our therapist said, “Accept it. It’s so personal they probably don’t want attention drawn to it. If they feel like approaching you, then be supportive and listen.”

I thought it was good advice – for us, anyway.

5 Likes

I don’t know if this is the right place for this, but I love singer/songwriter Madam Misfit:

I don’t know what to make of this theory…

The Harry Potter books are about a boy who is forced to grow up in the closet before he is liberated by the machinations of a gay wizard. Harry

Ms. April Daniels — The Harry Potter books are about a boy who is...

5 Likes

On the one hand, I’m tempted to say it’s rather far-fetched.

On the other I remember when I was a closeted bisexual growing up, and can absolutely see myself doing much crazier conspiracy level stuff just to make my mental gymnastics more comfy.

2 Likes

fuck cps

6 Likes

Ugh, and this is in Michigan, and that’s a pretty conservative area, if I remember correctly.

3 Likes

So instead of updating Empire, apparently Janice Raymond has written another anti-trans text, Doublethink.

According to … Robert Jensen at Feminist Current:

Raymond shows that we can critique the ideology of the transgender movement without ignoring the suffering of people with gender dysphoria. We can affirm the rights of girls and women while rejecting discrimination against trans-identified people.

1 Like

don’t read the fucking comments

3 Likes

Fortunately, I can’t read them. I’m just glad he’s on his way to reconciliation with himself and the world.

And fuck JFK and his plagiarizing - this article is profile in courage.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I don’t care what kind of genitalia a person has, or whether they were born with it or had it changed, I just want them to be nice, compassionate human beings who have a great sense of humor.

The one thing I don’t get is trans women using “person with a womb” instead of “woman” for someone who was born with a womb. What’s the rationale behind that? 'Cause I’ve not heard tell of trans men saying that men who born with penii should be called “people with penises”. It just doesn’t make sense to use so many syllables to express what could be said in two.

1 Like
1 Like

Because there are trans men and non-binary people who have wombs, who do not want to be called “woman.”

6 Likes

I was led to believe it was to apply to all those with wombs, born with or not. Thank you for that explanation; I like being taken down the correct path.

1 Like

From a friend of mine in Australia; her experiences are what motivated me to ask that question in the first place:

"If only that was the case in practice. I’ve come across people who think they are advancing trans rights by telling women the word ‘woman’ is transphobic and we must not use it. (This is in academic and writerly circles.)

And if this wisdom is questioned in any way, you’re labelled a hateful right winger. Totally bonkers. Judith Butler and her adherents have a lot to answer for."

2 Likes

The Judith Butler quote (One is not born a woman, but becomes one) reminds me a lot of the social model theory of disability, where the way society is structured and treats people with specific characteristics is more impactful than the physical characteristics themselves.

The Patriarchal-Industrial complex takes a lot of joy in disadvantaging anyone it sees as less than the uber-chad man.

So much discourse online consists of making up a person and getting mad at them and so few people bother to consider the needs of others online. Really wish there were more safe social support and discussion places for people whom the PIC seeks to stamp under.

7 Likes

The reply I got.
Dear Ms Gothro

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Many marches and protests take place in cities around the UK and we’re unable to cover them all. Decisions on which stories to report on, and the amount of time we spend on them, depend on a range of factors, including what other stories are around at the time. We know that not everyone will agree with our choices.

With regard to our output in this area, as a public service broadcaster we explore a wide range of issues and perspectives. We have a strong commitment to impartiality, and this includes covering stories on any point of the spectrum of debate. Stories should be seen not just individually, but in the broader context of our wider coverage.

We do not condone or support discrimination in any form.

Kind regards,

BBC Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

So, no one, not even a receptionist, could use their cell phone to obtain footage of the protest right on their front steps??!!

3 Likes

I’ve been considering labeling myself “queer.”

I am attracted to men almost exclusively. In my lifetime, there have 2 women that I have been seriously attracted to in a romantic way, and neither of those women were a realistic possibility for logistical reasons.

So, yeah, like most people, I have a little bi in me on the spectrum of attraction, but I mostly I want to be with men romantically. I can imagine being in a relationship with a woman, but that’s not what is driving this thought.

I’ve been thinking lately about identifying as queer because I feel like I’ve held myself outside of the queer space, as an ally but not a member. I’d like to be open to being something different. I’d like to at least mentally explore what it feels like to opt into queer identity and see where that takes me, without knowing exactly what it might become. Like, I’m not gay, I’m not trans, I’m not non-binary; but I’m queer.

Perhaps that puts me into the Questioning category.

I’d like to at least consider dating someone who is not straight, perhaps trans or gender fluid, or bi.

But, beyond that, I’d like to be something more than just an ally, but part of a group that feels more of my identity than the straights do right now.

I’m not sure if this is a kind of Rachel Dolezal type of thing.

Does anyone have any guidance or ideas?

It’s not so much about my romantic interests but about my identity.

7 Likes

Well, I’ve found that there’s different spheres - overlapping, natch - of queer. Like, I’m kind of asexual, but I’m also open to intimate-platonic relationships. It’s the non-physical part that’s the most important, but I do miss having cuddle time with another human being that I can trust. However, I don’t want to live with one, LOL!

It takes time to figure oneself out. I hope this helped somewhat.

5 Likes
7 Likes