Genderbender: Sexual Identity and Gender Identity

Apparently that’s how it works when voting in Florida.

3 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

Oh Jesus, that’s fucking awful… :sob:

6 Likes

Such a sweet story:

9 Likes
5 Likes

That was a beautiful story.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I thought I’d post a link to my law school advanced writing assignment here, if anyone is interested in reading it. It’s nothing Earth shattering, but some might find it interesting.

12 Likes

Reading this now! Fantastic work! Congrats!

6 Likes

That’s brilliant.
I’ll admit to struggling through some of the denser legal parts of the text, so thank goodness for the summary at the end.
Keep up the good work.
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

As a historian, I was struck by how densely sourced it was (if that makes sense)… lots of footnotes with citations, which I appreciate! I guess that’s typical for legal scholarship, @danimagoo? Which explains why there is a pathway from historian to lawyer!

4 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s typical. You have to provide a source for every claim you make that’s not just general common knowledge. So 1/4 to 1/3 of the paper ends up being citations and footnotes. It’s part of what made it so hard for me to write. I’m much more of a “stream of consciousness” style of writer. I like to just memory dump out of my brain, and then go back and neaten things up. I tried to do that with this paper, but it didn’t really work very well. So I had to just constantly write a sentence, stop, look up my source, make the citation (the format of which is very specific for legal writing) and then go on to the next sentence, wash, rinse, repeat. It made it impossible for me to get into a flow while writing. There’s a reason why Supreme Court Justices, and appeals court judges, have clerks. This shit is tedious and hard.

6 Likes

As someone who writes sourced writing, you’re spot-on! Same with historical writing too… I tend to do stuff in chunks - work on a particular section that relates to particular sources, and then figure out how it’ll fit in with my flow of argument…

Again, thanks for sharing this with us, and thanks for getting a law degree! We need more people fighting the good fight in the legal realm.

6 Likes

This post has some more details on this guy’s life!

8 Likes

I love how matter-of-fact this was. No fuss, no drama, just a simple announcement.

7 Likes

As it should be. I hate it when we, as a society, take steps backwards.

7 Likes

Exactly. I finally overcame my fears and came out in 2021 after 40 odd years of hiding myself. I thought society was finally starting to accept gender diverse people, and I was very hopeful that would continue. I’m terrified how quickly we’ve regressed in 3 short years, but I’ll be damned if I go back into the closet now.

I sincerely hope this fascist surge can be defeated quickly and without much damage. I will stand and fight.

9 Likes
6 Likes

Murder tw:

5 Likes