Get your game on!

Well, isn’t that in part because the two Joy-cons are physically different, and not 100% interchangeable? I mean, they’re definitely used for different purposes in Labo builds.

3 Likes

Most of my game time recently has been split (quite unequally) between Fortnite (mostly Save the World, not Battle Royale) and Gems of War.

Then this happened:

I spent entirely too much time last night learning to program again.

Also:

My wife and I have been playing this, with my daughter helping sometimes. We’re playing on Xbox One, but Steam embeds better. It’s a great co-op game, but can get a bit tense as it’s very much a spinning plates type of game.

4 Likes

That could certainly be one of the reasons, but they probably could have gotten away with just showing a generic shape for L/R. That they go out of their way to also include every color they’ve released is one of those little Nintendo polish things that is otherwise missing from a lot of the Switch experience.

3 Likes

Oh! I see what you mean. I thought you meant just distinguishing between left and right, red and blue.

I didn’t realize it recognized ALL of their released colors, but since they do need to distinguish between more than three anyway, I guess it was trivial to have that ID signal carry info sufficient to identify several dozen (or hundred?) unique variants. But as you say, a nice subtle touch that other companies haven’t thought of, let alone bothered with.

2 Likes

Oh my god, those slow-ass pedestrians moseying through the middle of the kitchen are damned lucky it’s impossible to tie them to my chopping block.

5 Likes

Even better is the level where the construction workers keep coming in and moving all of the pieces.

My favorites are the levels where you don’t have to wash dishes, because the developers obviously figured there was enough going on, or having a working sink on a hot air balloon was just a bridge too far.

3 Likes

Man, that game stresses me out too much to play beyond the first half-dozen levels or so. I hate feeling like I need to yell at my kids to grab those goddamned dirty dishes already.

3 Likes

When my daughter(6) is playing, our plans have to exclude her, as she’s just not ready to handle any task on her own, although she sometimes does dishes or delivers ingredients. In the original game and when she was younger, she had a bit too much delight in using the dash button to intentionally run into other players. They seem to have removed the resounding clack that would make in the sequel, which may reduce the incentive for her somewhat. Our primary goal when she is playing is just to get a single star so that she can see the next level. We go back and replay the levels later to get all of the stars.

ETA: Time is hard, let’s go shopping!

3 Likes

Age of Empires - Definitive edition was on sales the other week. And I had some credit with the MS store, so I picked it up.

The AI got smarter or I got stupider in the intervening decades since I last played.

Has not gone well yet.

4 Likes

Maybe out of practise with games trying to properly push you.

2 Likes

I’ve been a sucker for city builders since I played the original Sim City on the Mac in the 1980s. I once printed out one of my cities as a massive wall hanging.

I started playing Cities: Skylines on the Xbox and I’m just smitten with it. It has everything I enjoy about the original pre-EA Maxis Sim City games with none of the bullshit that was in the recent ones.

5 Likes

It’s on my wish list, but I know from past sim City days it will become a time sync.

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve sunk a bunch of hours into it so far. The game systems are incredibly deep and I’ve been creating new city after new city as I learn and better understand how the mechanics work. It’s pretty great.

The one thing that I’ve had to painfully learn to be very careful about is to zone in a gradual fashion. It’s very tempting to lay out as much zoning as I can as quickly as possible but citizens have life spans and by doing this you end up facing massive death waves, and cyclic unemployment which leads to mass abandonment which kills your economy. The R/C/I indicator needs to be followed very closely.

3 Likes

Is there a time-travel component? I’d love for younger me to look back on the days when I was older.

6 Likes

The only Sim I ever really liked playing was Afterlife. I have an emulated version that only lost a little translating from Win 95.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried this approach. She ports the social conflict system from SPI’s Dallas to early Dungeons & Dragons:

I’d like some way to combine it with the status and favor rules in SW Space: 1889.

4 Likes

Space marine is currently going free on the humble bundle.

5 Likes

I love Yakuza and I love the Ace Attorney series. So this looks pretty amazing.

5 Likes

Is anyone else playing Scum? I normally avoid early access games but it’s amazing.

I encountered my first human player a couple of hours ago. He asked me to join his team but Mrs. Cynical was watching and I wasn’t using my headset, so I declined. And then I pooped on his shoes. He kicked me (which I thought I deserved) and then, given that neither of us had a distinct weaponry advantage, we eyed each other up for a minute and went our separate ways.

That was a couple of hours ago. This is me now:

The combination of a diet of unrendered fat with random fruit and veg (vitamins and calories but God, I’m desperate for some salt and some carbs) and that ugly poncho is not particularly flattering but what you can’t see is the stab jacket that’s hidden under the coat and the fully loaded 12 gauge strapped to my backpack.

Next person I encounter is getting mugged. Via voice chat: “It’s okay, I’m not going to kill you but I’m going to need you to put your backpack on the ground and start running in the opposite direction.”

I’m slightly worried by how much I am enjoying this game…

6 Likes

Hmm. I got ambushed by some NPC zombies and used all my shotgun shells killing them off. Somehow, I also managed to lose my axe in the kerfuffle (I threw it at the last zombie’s head when I ran out of ammunition and killed it but I couldn’t find the axe in the mess of body parts afterwards, because it is now night time and raining).

I’ve still got the shotgun and a ton of chutzpah though, so the “mug the next player I see” plan still stands. They can’t tell that it’s empty, after all. Wish me luck… :grin:

5 Likes