Get your game on!

Well it was nice knowing him.

5 Likes

The first season of the walking dead game is free on the humble bundle for a day and a bit.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been giving too many hours to Windward lately.

I grabbed a four pack back in the summer sale, so if any one is looking for something that almost-but-not-quite scratches the itch for the old Wooden Ships and Iron Men I still have a couple of keys.

3 Likes

Mobile
My games this week have included Pokemon replacement Pocket Mortys, Fire Emblem Heroes (v 1.7), and Pixel Dungeons. All available free on the Play store, and all of them very good. For a great paid app, try Knights of Pen and Paper 2. (Seriously, itā€™s freakinā€™ amazing)

PC
Guild Wars 2, Nethack, and Super Motherload dominate my time this week.

Portables
Still working on Dragon Quest VII.

3 Likes

Divinity: Original Sin 2 (what an awkward title) is out on Steam and Iā€™m managing to get myself killed in many creative ways.

Somehow the experience of playing it feels a bit more awkward than I remember, or maybe Iā€™ve gotten too used to racing games and team FPSs and simpler games, all polished experiences where you donā€™t have to fight the camera or play spot-the-pixel. But the writing is good and thereā€™s a lot of cool game mechanics going on here. Iā€™m having trouble choosing what kind of character to start with for a nice balance of power and fun, so Iā€™m probably going to try a little of everything until I get settled in.

5 Likes

Metal Gear Solid V was the free game last month on PS+ and while I absolutely loved Metal Gear Solid on PS1 (I borrowed my friendā€™s PlayStation and played it to completion in one coffee-fuelled weekend) I havenā€™t really got on with any of them since. Too long-winded, hundreds of hours of FMV per game, lore that jumped the shark sometime around the turn of the millennium and hasnā€™t hit the ground since.

Those criticisms seem true of MGSV, too but I have one thing to say: OHMYGODFULTON!!1

Itā€™s the most addictive, compelling mechanic in a game I have played for a long time. I donā€™t even care about the storyline or which arsehole is gruffly trying to explain the convoluted backstory to me in any given cut sequence. I am all about sneaking round attaching helium balloons to anything in the gameworld and plan to spend this whole weekend COLLECTING EVERYTHING.

IMG-20171013-WA0007

4 Likes

Anyone else playing Splatoon 2?

1 Like

I havenā€™t played either of them, but I will be getting into Mario Odyssey as soon as I get home.

Iā€™m also strongly considering picking up Wolfenstein II as well. The first one is easily one of the best video game experiences Iā€™ve ever had.

Now you know why I couldnā€™t put off the move any longer.

5 Likes

Iā€™m not a huge fan of Mario personally - never really grabbed me. I did like the look of Super Mario Galaxy so Iā€™ve been hoping that theyā€™ll bring that to the Switch. Iā€™m surprisingly entertained with Splatoon - I like the premise and the battles are short enough that I can use them as a reward for getting work done (work for a couple of hours, take a 10-15 minute play break). I couldnā€™t really do that with BOTW, which is why I guess I havenā€™t finished itā€¦

Iā€™m definitely getting Wolfenstein when it comes out. Thatā€™s a game that goes waaay back for me, so Iā€™m excited to see the latest version.

1 Like

It came out today. If you havenā€™t played Wolfenstein: The New Order, you should go do that first. This is a direct sequel, and that game is excellent.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t played that - is it only on PC? You really think I should play that first?

3 Likes

You should, but you donā€™t have to.

Iā€™ve played it Xbox One. It looks like itā€™s available for PC, PS3/4, and Xbox 360/One. Itā€™s $20 on Xbox One, or $30 with The Old Blood, a prequel (released afterwards) that I havenā€™t worked all the way through and doesnā€™t appear to be as story heavy.

Mild spoilers:

In this game, you jump from one plane into another, storm a castle, escape from a sanitarium, steal super-advanced helicopters, hijack a nuclear submarine, and go to the Moon. Thatā€™s not even everything.

6 Likes

Okay, Iā€™m enticed. But one reason I got the Switch was because I wanted to get away from PC games. The only other console Iā€™ve had recently was my PS3 which died in a lightening strike.

Itā€™s only $20 on steam so maybe Iā€™ll get itā€¦your description certainly makes it seem like something I would enjoy!

3 Likes

Upon realizing that Iā€™ve been playing Team Fortress 2 for a decade I thought ā€œoh, maybe one of these days Iā€™ll get it rightā€¦ā€

7 Likes

I wish I could tell you that I spent countless hours playing TF2, but sadly they are not countless - Steam can tell me exactly how much of my time was lost to that game. I donā€™t even want to look :confounded:

I switched to Hawken cuz I love mechs, but that got old. I was thinking of doing Overwatch or Player Unknown Battlegrounds but both sound like big time sucks. Splatoon scratches that itch now.

5 Likes

I moved over to Kerbal so I could run a small space program out of the living room, apparently based on the idea of stranding Kerbalnauts in various places and then figuring out how to get them out of there.

4 Likes

Ooh, mechs, that sounds cool!

ā€œPC servers will shut down on January 2nd, 2018ā€

Damn it!

4 Likes

Wolfenstein II is reportedly coming out for the switch, along with DOOM, at a later date. Iā€™ll assume those will not be the best ports of either game, but the fact that they are coming out at all is remarkable.

Random Switch recommendations:

• Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
    • This is sort of XCOM lite with some fantastic movement refinements.
  • Golf Story
    • Itā€™s an RPG where you play golf, in the style of old-school golf video games. I donā€™t even like golf generally.
  • Picross S
    • Itā€™s not a new Picross 3D, but itā€™s still pretty good.
  • Stardew Valley
    • I havenā€™t talked myself into buying this on a third platform yet, but the convenience of the Switch might be either the best or worst thing to happen to that game.
2 Likes

Thats the one with sniper luigi right?

2 Likes

I have two games on my list right now, but Iā€™m forcing myself to finish BOTW before I get them;

I have a four year-old son who I ostensibly bought the Switch to share with. Any recommendations that would work for him/us? Probably going to get Mario Kart because I think he could handle that. Or I could just admit that I got the Switch for me and buy him a DS.

3 Likes