Gilead Watch

More than just feminism, but attempts to make laws that drag society straight into a Handmaid’s Tale future.

10 Likes
18 Likes

Thread:

Do not tell us to shut up. People will die from these bills. Anyone who opposes Universal Health Care because they don’t want the government deciding their treatment needs to be reminded that for women, the government already does. Abortion is a medical procedure. Birth control is medical. People are going to die because they can’t get treatment. It’s already happening.

17 Likes
15 Likes

From this video, (which I have not watched)

In January 2019, Judge Michael Huppert ruled in favor of the claimants who filed suit against the “heartbeat” law in Iowa, prohibiting its enforcement with a permanent injunction.

In addition to Iowa’s and Georgia’s bills, similar “heartbeat” legislation was passed in Mississippi and Ohio, both of which are effective beginning in July. Other states, including Florida, Missouri, Tennessee, and Texas, are following suit in what many consider to be a growing trend in restrictive abortion law.

5 Likes

Time to dock penises of republicans.

7 Likes
18 Likes

part of the problem is this:

Do you think a majority of legislators who supported HB 481 realized that they were subjecting women who self-terminate to murder charges and all these grave consequences?

No. This has been a problem across the board up at the General Assembly. Everybody thinks that the majority of people up there are lawyers, and that’s not true. We don’t even have enough lawyers to fill the Judiciary Committee in the Senate. That’s problematic. To really understand HB 481, you needed to look at the entire statutory regime. It references back to different statutes. It’s almost like a puzzle you have to put together. If you’re not a lawyer, you don’t know how to do that. If you don’t know how to do it, you rely on the team mentality. “The Republican leadership and the governor say that this is what we have to do as Republicans and this is going to save lives.” There’s no independent research. Republican legislators rely on folks telling them this is great, there’s no problem, we need to vote for it. But if you do a deep dive and see what the implications are, I can’t see how any rational person would think that this is a good idea.

but I don’t think evil is tempered by stupidity.

13 Likes
9 Likes

That’s why I’m not a fan of Hanlon’s Razor: “Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to ignorance”. Willful ignorance is caused, or at least firmly propped up, by prejudice, and prejudice feeds on ignorance. Evil propagates through stupidity because anyone with a reasonable degree on insight, or who believes that an insight is worth having, will challenge it. I say “believes an insight is worth having” because of willful ignorance based on prejudice, but also because nuance is seen as compromise which is seen as weak. The media spews its bullshit that is insulting to the critical thinking skills of 2/3 of the population, but all it needs is to gain ground among the willfully ignorant. Then the squishy center (the both-sidesists, the whataboutists, etc) will follow, and then eventually the people who should know better.

Ignorance and prejudice are too closely intertwined for there to be any kind of “razor” cleanly separating them. And true evil uses this combination of ignorance and prejudice to propagate itself.

7 Likes

Yeah. I had an uncomfortable conversation with some people who should know better about Facebook last weekend. Their stance was “if you don’t want Facebook to know, don’t post it on Facebook”, and I had to explain about shadow profiles and about how Facebook has its tentacles all over the net. (They’re annoyed that I won’t even keep an empty profile on FB and have it blocked at home, so they can’t send me links.)

All of which is information that’s easy enough to find if you really want to know, but they thought they had a case because they hadn’t bothered to look it up.

12 Likes
17 Likes
14 Likes
13 Likes

Backpfeifengesichter?

7 Likes

The White Christian Taliban?

9 Likes

Bad taste and even worse judgment. I apologize.

2 Likes

I am finding it interesting that after all the GOP warnings about “sharia law” coming to the US it’s the Republicans who are actually implementing it.

11 Likes

There’s a lot of people on Twitter pointing out that abortion is allowed under Sharia law, so the comparison only goes so far.

A better comparison might be the GOP’s Red Scare of the 1950s, which ushered in tighter societal conformance and greater standardization – exactly what they said they were fighting against.

16 Likes

I was more pointing out the ongoing process of subjugation of women in general, not specifically abortion.

8 Likes