Gilead Watch

It’s psychological projection all the way down.

9 Likes

That’s Dred Scott stuff. Are there going to be interstate extraditions of abortion refugees?

15 Likes

This is off to the side a bit from what’s happening to the U.S., but anyway it describes what happened in Romania under Ceaucescu when he banned both birth control and abortion. Nothing good.

11 Likes

The worst part is that apparently, this isn’t spelled out in the bill, so people can truthfully claim that “the bill doesn’t say that” (and many articles have).

From what I gather, it’s a follow-on consequence of legally naming the six-week-or-older bundle of cells a “person”… which then brings other laws that normally involve fully-formed babies or older into play, and the bill does nothing to prevent other laws from applying.

It also creates some interesting conundrums around laws about things like citizenship, or government benefits…

12 Likes

I look forward /s to seeing reality TV shows like Uterus Cops and To Catch a Babykiller.

7 Likes

In case you missed it at the Other Place.

8 Likes

https://rewire.news/article/2019/05/16/i-used-to-think-abortion-was-murder-now-i-work-at-an-abortion-clinic/

I asked myself: Why does someone have to be assaulted—to have their autonomy disrespected and to suffer abuse—in order to be justified in making their own decisions? That question fundamentally changed me.

14 Likes

I’ve been really frustrated by this. The letter of the law isn’t everything. The legal context is, and people are absolutely right to be afraid.

I was just talking to my husband about this, and the potential for inside-uterus custody battles. Not to mention the issue that Roe v. Wade isn’t an abortion law. It’s a medical privacy law. They’re coming for Casey next. Then what?

17 Likes

The onion is in a really dark place right now.

14 Likes

Griswold v. Connecticut?

6 Likes

Life in these United States…

14 Likes
10 Likes
9 Likes
13 Likes

Note: the current point person is in exactly the same position as the one before. But now, the chief of staff just happens to be a woman. Funny, that.

10 Likes
9 Likes

Things are getting weird.

I had a dream about Roy Moore last night. Seriously.

7 Likes
11 Likes
8 Likes
12 Likes