Gilead Watch

Either I’m misreading the DAs’ statements, or they are, but only one of the DAs seems to be saying that they “won’t enforce” the new law; DeKalb County DA Sherry Boston said that, but the others specifically noted that they won’t prosecute women under the new law. Those DAs don’t say anything about not prosecuting doctors.

12 Likes

Yes. But even saying they won’t prosecute women is a pretty big thing… the fact that they have to say it rather puts the lie to the statements that it’s not an issue that the bill creates.

8 Likes

In reading this, I came up with an idea for a new law:

Let’s require everyone at the end of their life to be put on life support machines until their bodies literally deteriorate to the point that everyone can agree there is nothing left, and charge the taxpayers for the cost.

What’s sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

12 Likes
13 Likes

Kyle Jones puts me in mind of an extreme marketing scam.

Baby shoes? Try our new Embryo Shoes!

6 Likes

Don’t give them ideas…

5 Likes

Louisiana going to vote on banning abortions in the state constitution. This is going to be hideous.

Edit: They did it. So the state no longer will enforce federal right to abortion. Of signed by the pro-life Democratic governor … though I think this was veto proof. This is a really insidious back door meant to remove the supremacy clause by asserting that the state can superceded federal law.

Edit edit: I was wrong on process. It’ll go to a ballot in the fall. An off year. Ensuring the white ethnonationalists of the prolife movement will get it passed.

11 Likes

John Prine: proof that being an old white man is NO excuse:

12 Likes

The Mammals do a good version of that:

5 Likes

I know that sometimes I have to keep reminding myself that for every stereotypical ‘baddie’, there are others who would fit the stereotype, but refuse to.

It’s been too stressful to always think clearly, these days.

10 Likes

Entirely symbolic, but…

11 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

I had a thought while reading this:

It’s a worthwhile read in general, but it also got me thinking about a specific detail. As she points out, the definition for purposes of the Georgia bill is:

‘Unborn child’ means a member of the species Homo sapiens at any stage of development who is carried in the womb .

Let’s just gloss over the fact that they’re using the emotional term “womb” instead of the actual name of the organ in an official legislative document, and look at the fact that they’ve just screwed up. They’ve just defined ectopic pregnancies as NOT being in this classification. According to their own bill, the only way an embryo or fetus is an “unborn child” is if it’s inside the uterus.

Finally, their lack of knowledge of women’s anatomy has tripped them up.

19 Likes

What? You mean to say it’s NOT a kangaroo pouch up in there?

15 Likes

Unless they’re ridiculous enough to count the fallopian tubes as part of the “womb”. Which they might be.

Sorry. Didn’t want to rain on your logic (especially since you’re much better at this than the legislators).

11 Likes

Although the online dictionaries I’ve consulted specifically define “womb” as “uterus,” using the non-medical term may give them wiggle room here.

9 Likes
12 Likes

I prefer the “mandatory organ donation” approach, and I don’t just mean an “opt-out” program for when you die.

Oh, hey, Mister. You’re a match for this patient who needs a kidney and this other one who needs a liver. Therefore you must submit to the procedures – you can survive with one kidney and half a liver. Risks? All surgery comes with risk. No, you don’t get to opt out. No, your health status doesn’t matter. No, we won’t do tests prior to your surgery to see if your organs are healthy or if you might have other issues such as with anesthesia. As we said, it doesn’t matter. If your organs aren’t viable, we’ll charge you for not taking care of yourself, unless you can prove it was a genetic condition and you could do nothing to mitigate it.

It’s closer to a match. And you better believe bodily autonomy would become a thing in a right hurry.

14 Likes

Bit of a refresh of a story I think I’ve seen from this doctor before.

13 Likes