Gun Control

He was a perennial political candidate, but AFAIK he had never been a mayor of Marionville or anyone else, nor had actually been elected to hold public office.

The mayor of Marionville at the time had been associated with this guy and said alarmingly similar things in public.

5 Likes

yeah these “patriots” seem to have disappeared while the current shitshow is happening. The Constitution is being shredded and the militias and such aren’t doing shit? I thought they loved America and would defend it!!

12 Likes

Oh, I imagine they think they are defending it. They just have a fucked up idea of what the Constitution stands for. Specifically, they think it’s about white conservative christian male supremacy.

17 Likes

. . . which is coming along quite nicely, thank you very much.

13 Likes

Not least because they’ve never read it.

10 Likes

While I knew I was probably feeding the trolls, I gave a person/bot on Twitter the benefit of the doubt and corrected her assertion of her “God Given Rights to own a gun” (i.e. - … that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights… ) and (to quote myself)

That’s the Declaration of Independence. NOT the Constitution. A historical document, but not a legal one

Instablocked.

Meh. I just went and looked at her feed to find the context that had started it and, yeah…probably not a bot, but certainly comes across as having… definite opinions that may or may not be rooted in reality.

10 Likes

That reminds me of an Obama birther I once met in Florida – as soon as I said I’d seen the scan of his certificate on-line (because he’d released it by that point), and confirmed I knew an official scan counted as a legal document if an official archive had been set up etc. etc., the guy cut the conversation short, said something lame like, “oh, you know about that”, and scuttled off.

They know. That’s the worst part. They do know. At least a lot of them do.

17 Likes

reading is hard!! It’s better if someone else tells me what it says!

8 Likes

Someone who isn’t a librul

6 Likes

But then, even then that only one of two Americas, right? Not to mean the red and blue parties, which I’ve argued elsewhere is a dichotomy to pass over the real victims of intolerance. I mean the founding ideology of the country.

Liberty is the ideology enshrined in the constitution. All men are created equal with rights to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness, secured by government limited by checks and balances. Americans keep it in the mouths of their heroes, and tend to imbibe it as the great invention of semi-divine founders, a genius exceptional among nations. And people from other nations might roll their eyes at that, but it is laudable in principle.

But it was not the first, and the founders did not push it beyond the limits of the other. It was not allowed to stop the country from being built up on the crushed lives of Africans and their descendants. It did not stop America from expelling Natives, then following them anyway, and working very hard to vanish them into empty land for settling. It did not mean that when California and Texas were taken, the people already there had real equality. And so on.

I mean, I get and sympathize with your joke, and it’s probably unfair to write four paragraphs off of it. But I really don’t want to accept America as another word for freedom and treat white supremacy as some aberration. It is part of its origin, and I think that’s especially important if considering legacies like the 2nd amendment or militias and just which cause they might serve. I am very happy America has a better aspiration, but it will take a lot more work before it is more.

11 Likes

all right we are two nations

http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/4986/

3 Likes

yep…we still have a long way to go. I suggest we let the South leave again. Then all the “patriots!!” and “Muricans!!” have someplace to go away from the rest of us that want to live and work together.

6 Likes

Damn, thse kids are good:

20 Likes
12 Likes
15 Likes

1990s horror writing prompts are 2010s reality

6 Likes

:notes: Duck … and cover :notes:

9 Likes

Text your Mommy, don’t you cry.
Kiss your little friends goodbye.

:rage:

9 Likes

A small price to pay for living in a free society.

3 Likes

All you have to give up to live in a free society is your freedom.

ETA: I think I’ve just found a tagline for my next YA novel.

13 Likes