Gun Control

7 Likes

this may not be the proper place to ask, but it’s on-topic, i think: i’m looking for ideas for banners for the march on the 24th – anyone have good ideas for slogans? i was originally thinking i’d like to stay on the theme of the Stoneman high school students’ speech, calling bullshit on things (the NRA is BULLSHIT, etc.), but i’m open to anything, really.

2 Likes

Is that constitutional? I mean the 1st Amendment is supposed to limit what the government can do about private actors’ political speech.

6 Likes

In a rational world, I would think it would be pretty clearly unconstitutional, especially when some idiot is coming right out and saying that this is the reason. Unless there were some contract between the company and the state that made the tax cuts hinge on specific relationships (which in itself would be rather suspect, but could probably be done legally).

In the current political view of “we’re in power, so we should win on everything”, however, it seems like all bets are off. It doesn’t help that this is about proposed new legislation… if they were trying to take away something that was already in place, it would probably be a clearer picture.

"Other Republicans in the State Legislature also on Monday pulled back their support for the bill, which would grant a $50 million sales tax exemption on jet fuel, primarily benefiting Delta. Among the new critics was the House speaker, David Ralston, who said on Monday that he was disappointed with Delta and wished it had announced the decision before the House approved the tax bill on Thursday.

7 Likes

Back to the status quo.

8 Likes

I’m a “lots of ideas” guy rather than a “good ideas” guy, so pick the ones you like:

[Picture of cowboy about to draw] “Teachers aren’t gunslingers”

“[Insert statistic]: Enough Already”

Not
Relevant
Anymore

Make Kids Safe Again

Yes, Guns Kill People

Land of the Guns and Home of the Afraid

How Many Dead Kids Is Too Many?

Melt Them All Down

Well-Regulated Militia My Ass

Never
Respected
Again

Repeal the 2nd

Decades of tyrants; no revolutions
What good are your guns?

Freedom to kill and be killed

If the NRA wins, we all lose

Let Trump Run In Next Time

“… is a good guy with a gun”
(Say people paid to sell guns)

Who do you believe?
The people who profit from gun sales?
Or the people dying because of them?

9 Likes

How about

“Like guns? Go to Syria!”

“Another Good Guy Without a Gun.”

“The Solution to the Problem of Guns” on one side
"Is not More Guns" on the other

8 Likes

Why not just start calling the NRA what it is? - A terrorist organisation.

11 Likes

Way to go Parkland teens! You impress me.

15 Likes

Way to go Dick’s Sporting Goods too. It’s clear to me you can still go there for all your duck hunting needs, but they’re not going to sell anything any civilian would ever reasonably not want.

And that’s what sensible gun control looks like.

16 Likes

When you live in a capitalist society, the mechanism for change has to come through what the for-profit businesses decide is good for business.

If enough large nationwide companies follow DICK’S lead, the boat will finally turn.

12 Likes

Let’s hope the red states don’t threaten to raise their taxes, like they’re trying to do to Delta.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to say I have to put this somewhere between “you meet my baseline standards, and for some reason this recently feels exceptional” and “fool me twice, shame on me.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/dicks-sporting-goods-selling-assault-rifles-again-new-store-chain-f6C10964008

12 Likes

Maybe they learned their lesson (unless they have yet a third chain they can sell them in):

“Modern sporting rifles” indeed. Do you really need an assault rifle to take down a deer?

6 Likes

Of course not. It’s possible to take a deer with a muzzle loader, and frankly if you are looking to eat the meat, you don’t want to shred the thing beyond edibility.

10 Likes

Or bow and arrow, even…

13 Likes

Maybe an atlatl.

10 Likes

i love these! especially “Well Regulated, my ass” and “Not Relevant Anymore.” i also like “Repeal the 2nd”, but i’m open to re-writing it so it makes sense in modern times.

and @RAvery, i also really like “Another Good Guy w/o A Gun”!

7 Likes

I’d use “Without” instead of “w/o” – I think it would be more clear on a sign.

Good for you for choosing to protest!

3 Likes

oh yes, sorry – that was me being a lazy typist :grin:

4 Likes