Gun Control

Dems appear to be attempting a strategy of trying to ban modern US high-velocity military ammunition, on the basis that its effects are exceptionally horrendous and destructive in an unprecedented way.

1. This is almost entirely bullshit. All bullets are designed to do horrendous things when they hit, and the wounds caused by modern ammunition are not worse than those caused by Napoleonic muskets.

2. However, the grain of truth underlying it lies in the deliberately unstable terminal ballistics of US military ammo. They are designed to tumble after impact, increasing the size of the wound.

3. This does not create some new type of unprecedented injury, it just allows you to use a smaller and lighter projectile while maintaining the damage potential of the older heavier projectiles.

4. However, the way it does that is basically by mimicking the effect of an expanding (“dum-dum”) round without technically being an expanding round. The reason why they don’t just use expanding rounds is because the use of those is specifically outlawed as a war crime.

5. So, to summarise: US military ammo is not abnormally deadly. But it is the blatant abuse of a technicality in order to allow the US military to commit warcrimes without prosecution.

The enthusiasm of the Dems for specifically going after the AR-15 and its ammo is probably not unrelated to the point that both are about to become obsolete, BTW. The gun industry is probably quite keen on the idea of forcing everyone to upgrade their old AR-15s to Sig Spears.

1 Like

They didn’t have armor-piercing bullets back then, did they? (I’ve since learned that “armor-piercing” is misleading. Did they have the ability to increase powder charges when manufacturing cartridges? (duh, If I could do it with metal ones, they could do it with paper cartridges). I don’t remember seeing artists’ renderings of exit wounds made by the balls shot by said muskets. (I stand by this.)

I used to know how to put together cartridges at home, when I was married to my 1st-ex-husband. I made some for his .45 automatic pistol, and they turned out to be “hot”; seems I added a bit too much powder. The bullets in the cartridges weren’t hollow points, but they, um, did some damage to a steel door, I was told.

2 Likes

I think I talked about this elsewhere, but this was not a gunman going and shooting up a place ala Ulvade. It was a group of people who had guns and several of them exchanged fire. It was downtown, not too far from where my daughter works. They’ve had an issue with young adults hanging out downtown after most of the businesses close; I gather this crowd was gathering at Buffalo Wild Wings, which is really close to the river and right off the main thoroughfare downtown, Market Street. I doubt this would have made national news if it weren’t for the Ulvade shooting. Yes, it was crappy and I hate that people were shooting at each other, but it was sort of garden variety stuff. Some injuries. No deaths.

1 Like

They weren’t getting the same velocities, but they compensated by using heavier projectiles. Black powder firearms tended to be around the .50 cal scale.

And when you’re hitting unarmoured people, armour-piercing is the opposite of what you want. Ye olde lead balls were soft enough to expand on impact; black powder wounds often involved people having huge chunks blown out of them.

none of which is an argument for the USAs unregulated nonsense. But the argument that the Dems are using re: ammo is bullshit, and will not be effective in actually reducing the death toll.

1 Like

Two hundred and eighty one.

The Dems threw millions into defeating Cuellar’s challenger. It seems very likely that all those millions could have swung a few hundred votes to someone who isn’t entirely owned by the forced birthers and NRA.

2 Likes

Children in a normal school day are not combatants in a war. Their parents needed to be swabbed to identify them.

The effects of minie balls might have been worse, but they were not being sprayed by the second on non-combatants.

2 Likes

If they want to go after rapid fire and high capacity magazines, then they should go after rapid fire and high capacity magazines rather than pointlessly trying to scapegoat a specific cartridge.

Inventing easily disproven nonsense about one specific type of ammunition is not at all helpful. It is so obviously unhelpful that it would not be surprising to discover that it was deliberately designed to fail.

You would think that dead children so torn up that their faces are unrecognizable would be enough to convince their GOP colleagues to do their part and we wouldn’t have to get into the weeds of this stuff, because it hardly matters, yet they continue to obstruct everything that would make any positive change. :woman_shrugging: And yes, if you’re argument is that there are still Democrats acting like it’s still business as usual politics, you’re right. But some are actually trying to do something, but this is not a system that is built for individuals to make these kinds of changes over night and it never was. So unless you think that the Democrats should start playing the same fascist games as the GOP, I’m not sure what you’re suggesting here by pointing out a possible error in discussing the types of bullets used to murder children. I don’t think going outside the system as it currently is constructed and breaking the law is going to be helpful in that regard.

Meanwhile

5 Likes

Turns out I have a sort of connection to the Tulsa shooting
 my BFFs dad’s BFF was friends with the surgeon who was killed. Her dad knew the guy and they would hang out sometimes. His BFF is helping plan the funeral. :expressionless:

And it’s now legal in Ohio to conceal a firearm without a permit. Sheezus pleezus.

Ohio to allow people to carry concealed firearms without a permit – 89.3 WFPL News Louisville.

2 Likes

A man in a tactical vest with a semi-automatic rifle and holstered pistol prompted Broken Arrow Justice Center employees to lock their doors June 13, according to a news release.

Due to Oklahoma’s constitutional carry laws, police determined that at each location the man “was not breaking the law” with the rifle and vest.

He was arrested, however, after he was found to have a recently-issued unrelated warrant and to be in possession of an over .45-caliber firearm and brass knuckles, both of which are illegal in Oklahoma.

:man_facepalming: Simi-auto rifle, no problem, but you might hurt someone with those brass knuckles!

5 Likes
2 Likes

Guns do not make us safe.

1 Like

Neither do people.

They took him into custody, so: white man.

Hope the family members who were the victims of his domestic violence (the reason for the warrant) are still alive. No mention of them, because they’re not important to the story.

5 Likes

I’ve been to that part of KY, worked with folks from there. Those kind of folks don’t take shit from anyone, and they appear to have the same hatred for the law as did their moonshing-manufacturing, incestuous ancestors.

1 Like

More fuel for Marjorie Taylor Greene.