Gun Control

1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

I would have zero problems with turning in a family member that I knew for sure was a danger to myself and society. I don’t care if it was my son, my brother or his offspring, or one of my cousins.

1 Like

Okay, in this article, it states: “Police say the violence was not accidental, as questions swirled about what will happen to the student.”
But further down, it states:
“The 6-year-old boy who shot Kayla Rolland was not charged because authorities said he was too young to understand what happened.”

You point a gun at someone, pull the trigger, a bullet goes into that person. I think a six-year-old who is developmentally able to be in the first grade understands that. If the person to whom the gun belonged didn’t keep it locked up, then they probably don’t monitor too closely what sort of media to which the child is exposed. Who’s watching the kid?

I’m sure there’ll be a lot more to this story as time goes by.

2 Likes

It’s just like GI Joe-- every pilot has a parachute, and no one dies.

2 Likes

Gee, not in some tv shows, movies and video games to which a lot of six-year-olds are exposed. But we need more information about this kid’s life and environment. Though living with someone who keeps a gun in a shoebox doesn’t bode well.

1 Like

lots more details in

Killing of Kayla Rolland - Wikipedia

In that case,

Jamelle James, the uncle who owned the .32-caliber pistol used in the shooting, was sentenced for leaving the gun in a shoe box in his bedroom.[11] He eventually pleaded no contest to involuntary manslaughter and spent two years and five months in prison before he was released on probation. The other adults involved would be in and out of court systems in the years to follow.[1]

2 Likes

Oh yes, I remember that. It was a big deal here in MI. We still have learn if the child in VA was raised in a similar environment as Kayla’s killer.

So much for childhood innocence.

1 Like
3 Likes

I think he very much understands why he did it. And I also think he understands exactly what he did. But I don’t think he’ll be able to explain it in a way that the adults who are handling this will undersand.

Having been a former child, as an adult I do my damnedest to keep that in mind every day of my life. The worst part is that, as I age, my childhood and my way of processing things gets a tad dimmer.

Unfortunately, not a lot of other former children do that once they reach adulthood (and I realize & get that a lot of adults have had shitty childhoods), which I think is why the so-called “generation gap” exists. And children, having never been adults, certainly aren’t, for the most part, going to comprehend why adults do what they do.

SIGH.

2 Likes

Holy cow. Warning, the video footage is disturbing.

4 Likes

My ex-bestie, her late uncle (an asshole all 'round) posed her then-baby 2d daughter with one of his handguns, took photos, and then had them developed at an Arbor Drug store! I think this was in 1995, maybe 1996. All this while he & her aunt were baby-sitting. If I remember correctly, there was a bit of a kerfluffle, as the store wanted to call CPS; I don’t remember, though, if they actually did.

Stupid redneck-gun-worship-culture is what it is.

3 Likes

Awful.

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like