GURPS Banestorm redux

So where did you want to set the ambush? At the top of the entrance stairs, or somewhere else? Who is where, is the spider involved, what are you doing for lighting, etc.

The opposition will likely notice as soon as the water is removed. The area between the stairways is flooded until then.

Thwip is going to try and pinpoint the locations of all of them. No point in running into an ambush over the next hill no matter what we decide to do.

The map table is only able to view scenes visible from the air, and stored schematics. The surface pinkies are not visible; they may have gone underground.

That seems a bit “Oh shit!”

For now, there’s still a flooded tunnel between you.

Possible issues:

• While hiding behind the hidden door, you have no way of observing what is happening in the main complex.
  • Although he can command the spider at distance once control is established, Hawk’s actual spell casting range is limited to a few yards. Duration is limited to a few minutes.
  • You have no idea how long it would take the spider to make a web over the doorway.
1 Like

Is it soundproof too? I suppose Thwip or Jabril could stealth out to get an update but if they step out at the same time a wizard or someone is eyeing the wall the plan will be dead before we can use it.

Although he can command the spider at distance once control is established, Hawk’s actual spell casting range is limited to a few yards

As a player I don’t think we should use Hawk’s batteries until people are bleeding. Aronn should be the one to clear the water.

Also, I used “miles” as a unit of measurement not knowing what it is locally. And because the game system was made by Americans. (I think?)

For “possible issues” read “reasons I see why this probably won’t work”.

Hawk can only control the spider for a short period, and he needs to observe it if he’s going to give it precise instructions. And its web, while awkward, is not impenetrable.

If the spider is to be used, it’s probably as a short-term diversion or combat ally only.

The surface humanoids are not visible, nor are any other underground facilities. It seems likely that they’re just inside the dungeon entrance, on the other side of the water.

I’ve edited my last post to relay this information/ likelyhood to our Dwarven leader.

Also a personal note: I’m heading to Busan for the next few days so hopefully there won’t be any time-sensitive updates until next Monday. :slight_smile:

Have fun!

2 Likes

Okay; it sounds like the plan is to set some bait near the medical wing, get Aronn to clear the water, scurry into hiding, then occasionally poke a head out to observe what’s going on.

Yes?

Yes, that’s the best plan I’ve got, so I guess it’ll have to do.

Could I get some idea of step 2?

i.e., if the opposition eliminates the spider or otherwise fails to fall for the trap, what next?

Stay hidden and hope they don’t find you? Charge out to attack as soon as an opportunity presents? Try to sneak past them without engaging?

Generally, the hope is that the majority of them will head in there and end up temporarily occupied either fighting the spider, stuck in the web, examining the two other rooms beyond, or in the plague/demon room. Once they go in, we move quickly to get out the exit. If they’ve left guards and we have to fight our way out, it’s going to be a case of fighting to bash through them, not sticking around to play and finish them off.

[ETA: If for some reason they don’t go that way, then we’ll have to try to sneak out behind them if that seems possible. If not possible, then I guess we’d have no choice but to try our best to attack them by surprise while they’re looking the other way.]

Stretching things out a bit for the sake of tension, and to give @William_George time to get back.

New players: I’ll work you in ASAP. It shouldn’t take too long to finish off this encounter.

No worries. I’m enjoying the read.

Well I best get moving then!

Has enough time passed to be able to use gizmo again and would it allow for a small tube that he could poke through the wall in the hopes that sound could pass through it to his ear on the other end?

1 Like

Yup. I was wondering when Thwip was going to suggest something like that… :slight_smile:

The illusory wall doesn’t appear to muffle sound at all; it just blocks vision. The inability to hear the intruders at the moment is due to their stealthiness, not the wall.