Happy 4th of July

It’s as if the Fenians were determined to prove every 19th century ethnic slander about the Irish. I suspect, though, that like other similar groups, they did not draw their members from the intellectual heavyweights of their demographic.

2 Likes

Got one already.

7 Likes

I thought it was the Lumberjack Song…

Oops, sorry, that’s BC. My bad.

5 Likes

And don’t forget this one:

2 Likes

There are certain aspects of Canada that make it seem like an enormous Wisconsin. That song is very Wisconsin-esque.

6 Likes

It’s by the late Wade Hemsworth, a Canadian national treasure that all too few Canadians have heard of. To complete the rude Canadian derailing of a July 4 thread, here’s my favourite of his songs.

5 Likes

Aw come on. The very first post has a Union Jack and a treason joke in it. And July 4 is also about how Canada was created.

6 Likes

I always thought Canada was created by cooking the books so England decided we were too expensive as a subsidiary and spun us off into more of a satellite company with separate management.

7 Likes

I was lucky. It was made clear to me that my town was started as a business venture, by the Pilgrims who were there on contract (the minister, the captain of the guard, lots of them) who thought Plymouth was a wee bit too conservative by around 1626 after their contracts ran out and they could go. It was also made clear that the church I attend, which they founded, used to be the seat of the town government, but in time they built a second hall, a town hall next to the church hall.

But yes, spot on gif.

4 Likes

I always thought England liked Canada for its “Huge Tracts of Land”.

2 Likes

In 1867, sure. 1776 decided what was too expensive. Even right after the revolution there was discussion if just giving the whole continent to the new republic.

3 Likes

Thanks, that was great!

I’ve seen so many great animations sponsored by the National Film Board of Canada. But they all seem old by now; I wonder if it still sponsors such things. (Sorry, I know I could look that up.)

4 Likes

This is a Canada Day thread and everyone knows it. It’s just that the Canadians are too polite to point it out.

9 Likes

I don’t know if its better or worse for having 99% of your country be founded by a trading company? The original government seats were held by officers of that self same company.
The Hudson Bay Company is older than this freaking country!
But we all have something with that damn blanket pattern on it. LOL

8 Likes

HA! Right! And I should probably mention that the East India Company still owns the building next to the Harbormaster.

3 Likes

HBC: Here Before Christ

10 Likes

is THAT why there are SO MANY SCOTS in Ontario? I always wondered!

2 Likes

That, but more specifically the Clearances. Not everyone moved to Australia.

3 Likes

today I learned. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And the number of Scottish soldiers serving in the British Army in Canada who decided to stay.

2 Likes