I started a new job today

As a follow up to this:

This position pays significantly more than my last one, so overall I’ve been very fortunate. Thanks to everyone for their support.

After things settle in a bit, I might be able to consider looking into options for setting this enterprise up properly.

31 Likes

Congratulations! :tada: Hope the new job’s a better fit!

13 Likes

That’s awesome! Congratulations, good sir.

13 Likes

Great news. That didn’t take long at all (it seems to me).

10 Likes

Yeah!!!

11 Likes

Terrific! Congrats!

10 Likes

Congratulations!

10 Likes

Excellent news!

partay-animal

11 Likes

So, two months in, how’s the job going?

4 Likes

It’s going well. The work is interesting. It’s a mix of topics that I’m experienced with and new things that I have to learn. My co-workers are helpful and knowledgeable. My supervisors are respectful of my time and skills. The organization seems to have an understanding of IT’s role and are supportive of our efforts.

My only real complaint is that the commute is longer. At my previous employer, I had a drive time of maybe 15-20 minutes and I could completely skip the highway. This route is the highway nearly the whole way and takes 30-40 minutes. It uses about 40% of the battery on my car one way, but luckily there are charging stations in the parking garage, and it usually costs me less than $1.25 to charge up there in addition to pretty much guaranteed parking.

The other issue which has now been settled is that I had to wait 2 months before benefits started, or use COBRA for $4k. We were able to make it work, but that clearly relies on quite a bit of luck that nothing serious happens. Wouldn’t it be great if benefits like affordable health care coverage weren’t tied to employment?

Overall I think it’s a good fit. I miss some of the people from my old employer, but I think this is a step in the right direction

The money doesn’t hurt either.

Overall I’m happy with it

18 Likes

Tesla?

3 Likes

Nissan Leaf. I’m not fancy. It cost me less than $8k used 3 years ago. I pay $1-1.50 to charge it during the day at work for ~30 miles of range, and then charge it at home overnight for I’d guess about half that. I wish it had a higher range than ~60 miles, but it does what I need it to do and requires very little maintenance.

10 Likes