Injustice Systems

I’ve noticed that some lights are significantly more blinding than others, regardless of distance. I’ve read that safety regs specify the power, rather than the brightness, aggravating the problem.

Stumbles on a proposal to make headlights strobe for “glare reduction.”

or for “improved visibility.”

3 Likes

Where I live, housing is more expensive the closer to the center of town. So people who are renting near town have to go further out to afford to buy a house or condominium. I’m not sure if this explains it.

3 Likes

Just lovely /s

4 Likes

Hmm… I wonder what the difference between her and Jussie Smollett is:

Also related to:

8 Likes

Basically, that’s it. Technically you’re correct, there are condos for sale and houses for rent, but renting more typically involves apartments or townhouses closer in to a town, often with public transit, while owning more typically puts the owner out in the suburbs away from town and transit.

I’m kinda lucky with the best of both worlds - renting two floors of a house with a yard just at the edge of town so when the weather’s good I can walk downtown or at least to a bus stop. But it’s not easy to find places like this. I definitely recognize homeowner sprawl. Kind of surprised we haven’t seen more shifts/variation in that since the 2007 crash.

5 Likes

What’s been said already, plus, think about redlining as a clear example: banks were/are willing to give mortgages for suburban homes but not so much for ‘urban’ ones except in the swankiest white neighborhoods. So what you can buy in a major city is more likely to be a condo or townhouse, built close together, rather than a stand-alone single family house. Meanwhile, out in the suburbs, particularly the ones built after WWII, you get entire tracts of nothing but homes, and even getting to such basics as school or the grocery store require driving. The average home-to-land ratio is completely upside down.

9 Likes

I used to complain bitterly about how long it took for me to get to high school from our (deep in the burbs) house. Shortly after I started university, my mum sent me a news article about high school kids who were in a newer part of our neighbourhood and went to a different school. They weren’t eligible for a school bus because they were too close to the school, but the closest public bus stop was an hour’s walk away because the public transit system hasn’t been expanded to match subdivision growth.

ETA: Should mention the labyrinthine street layout meant that “close” as the crow flies was much longer to walk/drive.

10 Likes

10 Likes
4 Likes

As pedestrian, I know exactly what you mean. All that wasted space, just to “gently” curve a road.

6 Likes

Remember the autistic guy with the toy truck and his carer?

10 Likes

If the U.S. Supreme Court agrees, then Flowers’s conviction for multiple murders in 1996 will be set aside.

Of course, if that happens, Evans can simply try Flowers again on the same charges. And why wouldn’t he? Evans has already prosecuted Flowers for the same crime six times over the past 20 years.

Evans’s record against Flowers is 1–5. First, he obtained a conviction that was set aside by the state appeals courts because of misconduct designed to confuse and mislead the jury—he introduced evidence of crimes that were not before the court; implied that he had evidence that a defense witness had lied when there was no such evidence; and told the jury about “taped statements” by Flowers that didn’t exist. In the next two trials, he obtained convictions by engaging in the precise misconduct alleged in this case: intentionally using race to skew the jury against Flowers, who is African American. The next two trials ended in mistrials because the jurors could not agree. The second time that happened, the trial judge had the lone holdout—an African American juror—arrested in the courtroom, and threatened to jail Flowers’s African American lawyer. Charges against the juror were dropped, but a message was sent. The sixth time, in 2010, a jury agreed that Flowers was guilty of four murders and sentenced him to death.

11 Likes

Doug Evans may very well be there. He certainly can spare the time: He is running for a fifth term as district attorney—unopposed.

That seems to be the story of his career.

His first election, he primaried his predecessor; since then, he’s had one electoral opponent in six elections, with a seventh that looks likely to go the same way.

6 Likes
6 Likes

Since his inauguration, Mr. Bolsonaro has weakened or defunded government agencies that oversee protections for the Amazon and indigenous people and given those responsibilities to the pro-farming, pro-mining, pro-timber agriculture ministry.

The result is that indigenous people, who have secured government protection for about 13 percent of Brazil’s territory, fear there will be no more lands set aside, Ms. Guajajara said.

Lands that are formally recognized as “collective lands” are owned by the government but guaranteed under the Constitution for the exclusive use of indigenous groups. Mr. Bolsonaro says he wants those lands made “more productive.”

Plus, there’s the whole “kill the climate” perspective, but, that’s another topic.

7 Likes

Oxygen doesn’t increase the GNP, I suppose.

6 Likes

Our rulers just want to see the world burn…

8 Likes

Seems like too many of our neighbors agree.

5 Likes

(https://www.reddit.com/r/deepfatfried/comments/achdi0/supporting_bolsenaro_to_own_the_libs_whats_your/)

some people have other priorities.

3 Likes

Thread.

8 Likes