Injustice Systems

What a racist asshole. Someone should record him with some kind of stealth recorder.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Meanwhile, if the black man had been found with a joint, he’d have gotten twice as much time, and as bad as prison is, would have fared better than enslavement at least.

8 Likes

The cry for help came from a holding cell.

A Houston police officer heard the plea last Friday, turning to find an inmate standing while handcuffed to a chair and pointing to the prisoner next to him, Karl Bonner. The officer rushed into the cell and separated the two men — only to learn that Bonner had allegedly exposed himself and attempted to force the man’s face into his crotch, according to the Houston Police Officers’ Union.

But when the Houston officer called the Harris County District Attorney’s Office to press charges of attempted sexual assault, the prosecutor wasn’t interested — because he was concerned about the victim’s immigration status, the union claims.

“The district attorney, out of nowhere, says, ‘Well, is the complainant illegal?’ ” union President Joe Gamaldi recounted to The Washington Post on Thursday. “He goes, ‘Because if he’s illegal, I’m not taking the charge.’ ”

7 Likes

They just got around to sentencing? It’s been years since it came to light, right?

3 Likes

I could see it as a “complex” case, similar to domestic violence cases. You have to prove he really couldn’t leave etc.

2 Likes

And it just gets worse:

12 Likes
4 Likes

Adam Johnson of the Citations Needed podcast has another show, specifically focused on justice issues. Worthwhile.

2 Likes

So
 criminalizing the people they’re supposedly trying to protect
 routing around due process protections

7 Likes
6 Likes

Thread.

2 Likes
3 Likes

what a greedy little shit

4 Likes

6 Likes

Super interested in this one. What happens when Republican suburbanites run afoul?

I feel bad. As an adoptee, some members of my family took issue with me not being a “real” child. Then they went on to do IVF. I’m horrified that a person choosing IVF could be hurt, but if you’re pro-life, IVF is a sin. I never want anyone to suffer harm, but I do want a reckoning about human intervention in pregnancy.

6 Likes

Not just her views, but if you read down, she has never tried a case. She was unanimously voted unqualified to serve.

10 Likes

The Republican party considers that a feature, not a bug.

8 Likes

Yes. They’ve stopped even the thinnest pretence of being public servants.

9 Likes

. One anonymous donor gave $17 million to the Leo-affiliated Judicial Crisis Network for political campaigns against Judge Merrick Garland and in favor of Gorsuch; then came another $17 million for the political campaign to prop up Kavanaugh, perhaps from the same donor.
That would mean someone spent $35 million to influence the composition of the Supreme Court. Presumably, they’d expect results.

8 Likes