Injustice Systems

4 Likes

Cops in schools make kids safer. /s

I detest cop language, cop thinking and cop violence, and this reminds me how I got to that perspective.

10 Likes
5 Likes

Iā€™ve been using the phrase ā€œthe rules only apply to other peopleā€ as a synopsis of what Iā€™ve been witnessing in the world in recent years. Fred over at Slacktivist pulled someone elseā€™s comment out of the comment thread in someone elseā€™s blog because it actually captures this idea so much better:

Thatā€™s it, in a nutshell. That is the enemy we are fighting.

9 Likes

What a nice, concise way to describe our fucked up society.

7 Likes

I have to find opportunities to send that to certain people. Thank you.

6 Likes
8 Likes

After the Iowa Supreme Court Chief Justice apologized and admitted mistakes were made, I was expecting all charges to be dropped.

Have you met prosecutors?
Ā 

https://www.coalfire.com/News-and-Events/Press-Releases/Coalfire-CEO-Tom-McAndrew-statement

Active penetration testing, including physical penetration testing, is a best practice and a common engagement. We identify issues and risks before criminals find them. Oftentimes the risks are systems issues, sometimes the risks are as simple as finding a broken door that would allow a person with malicious intent to enter a secure area unnoticed. Our mission is to help our clients secure their environments and protect the people that work for them, their customers, and the confidential information they maintain. In this case, we were helping to protect the residents of Iowa.

2 Likes

An armed shoplifting suspect in Colorado barricaded himself in a strangerā€™s suburban Denver home in June 2015. In an attempt to force the suspect out, law enforcement blew up walls with explosives, fired tear gas and drove a military-style armored vehicle through the propertyā€™s doors. [ā€¦] A federal appeals court in Denver ruled this week that the homeowner, who had no connection to the suspect, isnā€™t entitled to be compensated, because the police were acting to preserve the safety of the public.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/30/774788611/police-owe-nothing-to-man-whose-home-they-blew-up-appeals-court-says

7 Likes

If itā€™s worth blowing up someoneā€™s home, itā€™s worth paying for the gorram repairsā€¦

4 Likes

School officials called in police because they ā€œfeared for their safetyā€. Like a fungus, it spreads. (Thread, hereā€™s a sampling.)

6 Likes

I went to school with people who had parents involved with the Mafia. Probably not Godfather-type level, but they, ah, knew people.

And the school did nothing about it because a) nothing bad actually happened at the school and b) they would have lost a huge chunk of the schoolā€™s population if they had ā€“ about one-third of the studentry were of Italian descent.

Oh, and one of my best friends in high school was from Belfast, but her parents had to move to Canada after her uncle got involved with the IRA. Guaranteed there were Irish-descent kids at my school who, unlike my friend, actively supported the IRA.

Saying this because if Edmonton Catholic schools are similar, the school principal is absolutely full of shit.

Not to mention, itā€™s a freaking headscarf. Are they going to go after nuns next?

9 Likes

Depends: are the nuns black or white?

8 Likes

Nothing really new with these people, I know, but the video is a very concise distillation.

6 Likes

Public defender rite of passage: when you plea because your client canā€™t wait for dismissal. #ShittyWorldHypothesis

8 Likes

I went to school in the 90ā€™s with actual gang members. One of my friends was a scorpion and a couple of my rivals were crips. It was never a problem. The two times I had issues with them (one crip king with a bunch of followers and one big hulk of a guy who towered over me and probably outweighed me 3-1), I found them after school at neutral territory and we just talked through it like reasonable people do. Something people forget is that gang members are people, and that is their safety and family, often the only safety and family theyā€™ve ever felt. It doesnā€™t inherently make them violent monsters. Some can be, but if you treat them like people, thatā€™s a lot less likely.

But thatā€™s drifting from the topic, which is straight up blatant racism. The protest Iā€™d like to see is all the kids wearing durags and all their parents crowding into the office. How would the school respond to that? Would they accuse everyone of gang affiliation? Call the cops and ban everyone? I doubt it.

Also wouldnā€™t be the first time:

11 Likes

By a long way.

White people get seriously weird when it comes to Black peopleā€™s hair.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve always found it interesting that the beauty industry sells products to increase volume and curl to white women, and products to decrease volume and curl to WOC.

6 Likes

And then thereā€™s tanning and whitening products.

6 Likes

THIS THREAD:

5 Likes