Injustice Systems

I’m just gonna hafta rage-quit that story 1/3 of the way through. Let me know if it has a happy ending.

8 Likes

Yeah, that would have been my guess.

6 Likes

I just had a student tell me he plans to go play for a team in Malta… I should have warned him about the racism…

5 Likes

Why Malta of all places?

4 Likes

I think that’s where he was able to get on a team to play? He’s hoping to move up the ranks and make a name for himself in soccer in Europe…

6 Likes

Thread about being young and black and having to live with police in school harassing you personally. There’s a cost and he paid it.

11 Likes

Holy fuck this is horrific.

It’s one thing to wind up in the school to prison pipeline because your school doesn’t have the resources to deal with you and wants you to be someone else’s problem. It’s another thing entirely when they do have the resources and use them against you to their fullest extent because they’ve decided you don’t belong there.

This is a real problem, and it’s 110% intentional from the people who have the power. It is horrifying, but this is happening everywhere.

But try explaining this to the average white suburbanite without sounding paranoid.

12 Likes

Yep. I notice this too when having conversations about police. The underlying assumptions are completely different. We start from entirely different places.

12 Likes

It’s a matter of education and the ability to recognize that it exists, it’s a terrible problem, and the people affected are really people, not just vague, other people who don’t count. Certainly reading stuff on-line that I wasn’t exposed to before has opened my eyes in the last decade, especially on this BBS and that of TOS.

Of course, trumpkins has brought a lot more of it out into the open. The trouble there is that too many assholes are going “Yup, that’s great!”

10 Likes

Plus too many assholes who just want it all shoved under the carpet again.

10 Likes

Way to go, Republican assholes.

8 Likes

Taking another crack at killing us.

7 Likes

this whole thread is proof that the US doesn’t have a “justice” system at all.

8 Likes

Sure it does — if you include the irony quotes.

10 Likes

I just saw this as a mention, but apparently, following the election of a black reform-minded St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney, staff prosecutors elected to join the police union.

13 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes

This is the person mentioned above in the story about staff prosecutors joining the police union.

4 Likes