Injustice Systems

And note the 2014 date.

As with so much else, this shit did not begin with Trump.

9 Likes

https://theappeal.org/new-orleans-da-stokes-fears-over-bail-fund/

The Orleans Parish district attorney, Leon Cannizzaro, has focused his ire on local organizers for raising money to bail people out of jail. Cannizzaro accused the New Orleans Safety and Freedom Fund of “playing a very dangerous game with public safety” in an interview with Fox 8 in October. In another interview, he called the bail fund “extremely disturbing,” saying the bail fund “absolutely is a get-out-of-jail-free card.”

The New Orleans Safety and Freedom Fund has been operating for more than a year and has bailed out over 200 people to date, according to the New Orleans Advocate.

10 Likes

This article says police twice called ShotSpotter to get the results the police wanted, including a specific number of shots, for sensor recordings originally identified as helicopter noise. One of those requested shots apparently never happened.

10 Likes

No words

9 Likes

Yep. It’s so wrong.

Personally I’m no longer shocked; I feel more a grim recognition of the way things are, for the moment. Fortunately I still feel the wrongness of it.

9 Likes
12 Likes

discovery-burnham-wrongest

9 Likes
7 Likes

One justice system for the rich-- one justice system for the poor.

12 Likes

I find their ability to talk about this openly just … Depressing.

7 Likes

Criminal forfeiture, which requires conviction first is one thing. Civil forfeiture is straight up evil. And very, very much one of the tools of a fascist state.

13 Likes
16 Likes

http://www.okwonga.com/this-is-why-you-shout-racist-abuse-at-black-footballers/

9 Likes

Whoa.

4 Likes

Is this in response to a singular particular incident, or to a disturbing trend (or both)?

4 Likes

This is the best use of second person point of view I’ve ever read. Fabulous yet sad it had to be written.

4 Likes

And, it’s not just Texas:

Of note in both these stories: no guilty verdict required, and it’s often not even the property owner being charged. Yet, they’re losing everything to the State who then sells it off to the very people who tagged it for appropriation in the first place.

If this were any other country, Americans would be talking about how they need to import democracy and freedom.

11 Likes

…by funding right-wing terrorists and organising a military coup.

7 Likes

It’s in response to a single incident, which is part of an ongoing disturbing trend:

10 Likes

Thanks for providing the explanation. I’ve been away from the keyboard most of today.

7 Likes