Injustice Systems

Interesting. Grew up there, in part.

Thank god.

5 Likes

interesting bit at the end:

Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito both dissented, with Thomas writing in an opinion that the majority is upending Congressā€™s efforts to keep most immigration claims out of federal court.

ā€œAs has been the case for decades now, the decisions of this Court continue to systematically chip away at this statute and other jurisdictional limitations on immigration claims, thus thwarting Congressā€™ intent,ā€ Thomas wrote.

Maybe congress intended to cede power to the executive branch, but constitutionally, that seems to be a naĆÆve approach.

Besides, if a democratic house, and a democratic senate, and a democratic president are to ideologically rebalance the judiciary, a bigger workload helps make the case for more judges.

5 Likes

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2020/06/02/43820804/george-floyd-and-the-cop-accused-of-killing-him-worked-at-the-same-club

3 Likes
4 Likes

probably a victory against the school to prison pipeline

6 Likes

On Tuesday, roughly 700 members of the Armyā€™s 82nd Airborne Division had arrived at two military bases near Washington. Another 1,400 soldiers are ready to be mobilized within an hour, the two Pentagon officials said. The soldiers are armed and have riot gear as well as bayonets.The officials said the mission has been named ā€œOperation Themis.ā€ In Greek mythology, Themis was a titaness of divine law and order, whose symbols are the scales of justice.

5 Likes

Are they reverting to Vietnam-era doctrine? Because that ā€¦ led to massacres ā€¦ They long since stopped using bayonets in ā€œCivil Disturbance Operationsā€. Iā€™m not sure exactly when, I think it was in the 1980s, but you can check manuals since 2005:

http://www.bits.de/NRANEU/others/amd-us-army.htm

5 Likes

Nobody* in the Army that would be issued a bayonet, nor their commanders, and probably not the command level above that want bayonets.

When I was in, they were never even brought out of the arms room.

Of the people I know who have deployed to the Middle East, all of them gladly turned them back into the arms room to be secured because NO ONE* WANTS TO DEAL WITH THAT SHIT.

* For most values of Nobody and No one.

9 Likes

Iā€™m curious about the titling. Trump works so hard to make sure there are as few women possible visible in photos, in committees, etc. Plus, Themis is a weird choice for someone who is all about dominance and public displays of power. Iā€™m wondering if someone high up in the military is casting very subtle shade on Trump.

2 Likes

The one thing I associate with the word Themis is this book

which is probably in my house, though Iā€™ve never read itā€¦

2 Likes

You know who else has never read it? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ve inherited quite a few books. Even my kindle library is chock full of books Iā€™ll probably never get around to reading.

2 Likes

I was referencing our non-reader-in-chief, but I feel your pain. There are too many books to ever get to the bottom of the pile.

3 Likes

Every city on the Louisiana 1-10 corridor between Baton Rouge and Mississippi had black lives matter protests. Most on the other side of Baton Rouge, too. These are some of the Trumpiest areas of the country. A local small town mayor in a town notorious for its brutal prison led a march. This feels different.

5 Likes

So based on the article, he was calling on people who were willing to risk violence to ā€œ[call] out the shooters.ā€

Protest organizers sometimes divide events into ā€œredā€ and ā€œgreenā€ so that protesters who can risk gassing or arrest can go to the ā€œredā€ events, such as die-ins, blocking streets, etc., while those who canā€™t can stay in ā€œgreenā€ events. In context ā€œlevel redā€ and ā€œcalling out the shootersā€ both suggest risking gassing and arrest to speak out. Police might misrepresent this like police have been known to misrepresent puppet-making equipment as molotov cocktails and gazpacho soup as homemade pepper spray.

That sounds like he was condemning violence, not encouraging it. This isnā€™t Tom Cotton or Donald Trump or the like.

5 Likes

This weekend I will be able to attend a BLM rally of some variety. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll find one. This will be the first protest I am motivated to join.

So Iā€™m looking for advice. What to take or leave behind. What to do and do not do.

4 Likes

I think it depends to some degree on where youā€™ll be. Weather-appropriate clothes. Water and snacks. If you have extra money to spend, many protests have stations set up where you can bring extra prepared food and water to donate. Some cash, wallet, ID, credit cards. Phones are tricky - if you have a digital camera and a burner, thatā€™s my preferred. But for getting the word out, your smartphone is still the best. Map out a couple locations with wifi so you can turn off geolocation, wifi and network at the actual protest. Charged back up battery + cable. I have a portable solar panel for that, too. Sunblock. Mask and hand sanitizer - if you can bring some to donate, awesome. Shatterproof glasses are cheap at the hardware store and dead useful if rubber bullets are flying. Collapsible umbrella. Collapsible ā€œCaution wet surfaceā€ cones can help contain smoke and tear gas grenades. Make sure they open on top so you can pour water in. I keep a grill glove to move hot debris. A cloth to smother fires. Numbers to local legal aid. Small first aid kit, including something for allergens (benadryl + benadryl topical pen are handy. edit: diaper rash cream is good for not only your own thigh chub rub, but covering other chemical irritants after flushing them with water). A piece of chalk if you need to mark spots on the ground for testimony. All this fits in my medium timbuk2 with the solar bungeed to the outside.

Not to bring: arms, unless youā€™re doing some sort of open carry protest, some municipalities have banned sticks to hold up signs, so use cardboard instead to get it to stand. I wouldnā€™t wear sandals. People have been saying to rinse your eyes with water and baking soda if you get gassed but thatā€™s just going to scratch your eye. Make-up and contacts can trap tear gas and pepper spray, so better to be in glasses if you need them.

Let the organizers lead. Center Black feelings. If Iā€™m not the direct community, I usually only do the organizer-led chants.

Edit: Also, there are reports of officers using larger moveable items against the people holding them. Like, grabbing your bike and using it to knock you over. The more you can keep things internal - jacket, zipped in a bag - the better

Edit 2: If you havenā€™t done it in a while, being on your feet all day is rough. IConsider doing some yoga or stretches beforehand and after. I wear my plantar fasciitis sock the day before and after marching. I wear my running shoes, best fitting running socks, and best running leggings (pockets!) day of.

10 Likes
2 Likes

And now it finally hits the national media how much of a bag of shit the MPD union boss is.

5 Likes