Jim Spanfeller, a massive herb, Triggers Mass Deadspin Exodus

Jim Spanfeller, a man who thinks that editorials should be written by advertisers and that the year is 2004, continued his war as Great Hills Partners puppet.

First he quadrupled ads on pages, then issued a stupid-ass dress code in contravention of contract, fired editors, killed Splinter, and recently, implemented autoplaying video ads with sound, because God is Dead and Jim killed them.

Yesterday, editorial staff made a call to readers asking for readers to write in. Thousands did - so Jim disabled incoming email. Then Jim fired a Deadspon writer, told Deadapin to never ever post anything other than sports, to which G/O staff started posting well written but unrelated content.

Jim is currently yelling at the Union stewards because of course he is.

Jim Spanfeller is a sad, greedy, and lingeringly stupid man.

if you want to tell Jim what you think of his latest actions, poke him on twitter or by email at
jim@g-omedia.com

12 Likes

in the union contract outlined, the editorial and writing staff have a mandate to write whatever the hell they want unless it breaks a law. Iā€™m sorry Jim ā€œAutoPlaying SoundAdsā€ Spanfeller doesnā€™t agree with their contractual mandate. I welcome Jim to eat my turgid, frozen, and rather colourful fecal matter.

11 Likes

other thinkpieces:

10 Likes

After a long day - including staff publicly rallying on twitter - all G/O Media writers decided to not give a single fuck about management today

thatā€™s what Great Hills gets for consolidating them in an open floor office.

as always, jim spanfeller can eat my shorts

9 Likes

I go over to the various sites there (Gizmodo, Lifehacker, etc) and this gives me background info on what is happening over there. I managed to take care of the ads by using Ublock and setting the browser I use at work to mute all tabs unless I whitelist the site.

Thanks for the info!

6 Likes

Update 3:
Deadspin staff have only posted 1 story today in what looks like a ā€œwork to ruleā€ move. Apparently over 200 deadspin readers are engaging in a call campaign that currently has the owning company (Great Hills Partners) switchboard jammed. The revolt, it seems, will carry on.

5 Likes

Update:
Mass walkout

9 Likes

Question:

Is Spanfeller killing Deadspin because heā€™s incompetent, or is he killing Deadspin deliberately to silence it? This isnā€™t the first leftish media outlet butchered by new ownership in the last few years.

10 Likes

Why not both?

7 Likes

Update:

6 Likes

They should start their own site. Iā€™ll visit it with my ad blockers off even.

4 Likes

Jim ā€œherbā€ Spanfeller disabled comment sections on multiple GMG sites.

Jim is a herb. We will not rest until the herb is gone - even if it means losing comments on all GMG sites shortly before the entire staff quits.

3 Likes

If everyone quits, then the GMG sites will turn into Cracked and just have ā€œguest authorsā€.

5 Likes

Hmm, does a boycott make any sense with this?

I made a point yesterday of reading every non-sports article on Deadspin the last couple of days, not that Spanfeller seems to care what actual readers are doing.

5 Likes

the only thing Spanfeller responds to are complaints - loudly and personally directed, which is why the commentariat retaliated by faxbombing him and jamming his inbox (and phone - someone found his cell number).

i would recommend following the entire GMG staff. you can find them already in one neat list here: https://twitter.com/SquinterMedia/following

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been fantasizing a book

Seems like every CEO thinks theyā€™re Steve Jobs. They make crisp business decisions (a phrase I once actually heard) that are wrong.

7 Likes

I havenā€™t read Kevin Carsonā€™s Organization Theory, but it might interest you. http://www.mutualist.org/id114.html

2 Likes

But there are no equations! :nerd_face: I looked at a few paragraphs, but had no understanding. That is the kind of analysis that is 180Ā° from my own (narrow) field. I have no context for it. Thanks though!

1 Like

the autoplaying EVERYTHING was the worst. thank jeebus for UBlock.

6 Likes