Let's Name This Place -- POLL ROUND 2 -- FINAL VOTING

Polls have been open for almost a week and nobody new has voted in the last few days, so I’m closing the first round and opening round 2.

For the next round, I’ve culled the list down to 16 names. Why 16? Because it’s hexadecimal. Because of the Law of Fives (6-1=5). Because there were 16 names that got at least 10 votes each, and 10 is a nice round number. And 10 is 16 in hex. See, it all comes around, right?

Anyway, back to the poll. I suspect this will be the penultimate round, but again we’ll have to see how the numbers shake out. I mean, who knew that we’d have 16 from the previous round, right? Eris, of course. But anyone else?

Right. The poll. Here we go; this poll is limited choice - you get just three votes to pick your favorite names. You cannot vote more than once for the same name, so pick your top three favorite choices - not just ones that you think are cute, or clever, but names you could actually imagine typing every day in to your browser without regret. Names that, 10 years from now, you’ll be proud to put on your resume, and happy to have tattoo’d on your neck.

Here are the choices:

As noted earlier, most of these domains are available with different TLDs so judge on the root of the name, not the TLD. When a clear winner emerges, we can vote separately on the TLD (i.e. .com/net/org/cafe/pub/io/co/etc).

If I’ve miscalculated or missed a name somehow, let me know ASAP so I can put it in the poll. Also, if last minute inspiration strikes and you really want to put another name on this list, you can submit it as a comment here and if it gets more than 20 likes, I’ll put it in to the next round.

13 Likes

I’ve moved this poll to its own new thread so that we can make sure it gets seen by everyone. This is still the same poll as in the other thread, and all votes have been maintained.

I’d really like at least half of the participants of this board to vote at this stage so that we can consider it a “quorum.” If you do not want to vote for any particular name above, but want to register your participation (which is important) then click one of the options below.

• I don’t care
  • It doesn’t really matter
  • I’ts all the same to me
  • What’s in a name, anyway?

0 voters

1 Like

Moving this poll to its own thread has significantly increased participation - we aren’t quite at the same number of votes as we had before, but we are pretty close. I’m going to leave Round 2 voting open for two more days (until COB Friday, Eastern Standard Tribe).

7 Likes

Can we toss out all the bottom runners and do a final runoff of anything getting above 20%?

8 Likes

20% seems to be the natural dividing line here. Plus, it’s kind of the “top five” I was looking for with a plus-one of HappyMutants.space thrown in, which is really its own sort of thing.

2 Likes

Are we ready to move on to the next round?

2 Likes

“Name Vote 3: The Votening

(Or maybe “The Namening” - I can’t decide. Maybe we should have a… something to choose.)

5 Likes

5 Likes

You see, this is why we need a plugin that can do ranked ballots for instant runoff voting.

Also, this is one of the few votes I’ve had recently which is assured of a good outcome.

5 Likes

I started to look into that, and then fell into a rabbit-hole of alternative voting systems, which was not particularly productive, even if it was educational.

5 Likes

I was thinking about names recently, and I came upon an idea that I’d like to share:

empathy.box

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like the .box TLD is taking registrations yet.

3 Likes

Could we use single transferable vote to decide which voting system to use?
…I’ll just nip off and shoot myself. I’ll be very humane.

8 Likes

So many systems to choose from, with upsides and downsides. We need a discussion file and a vote. Now, how to choose which system to use for choosing which system?

2 Likes

Less whimsically, would it stir-up interest to come up with some mock-ups for how each of the top options would look on the front page?

(Vs. the time it would take to convince someone to do the mock-ups, and the actual mocking-up itself)

2 Likes

I say go for it. That should give us something to do until @waetherman re-emerges.

3 Likes

(I think it could be our fault they’re hiding in the first place, mind.)

1 Like
  • Votening
  • Namening

0 voters

2 Likes

That has a great sound.

5 Likes

We cast separate ballots for each voting system, and then an additional ranked ballot for which voting system we prefer.

Also, superdelegates.

5 Likes