Love in the Time of COVID-19

3 Likes

ten percent, surely.

Better than this prediction.

Lipsitch predicts that within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically , this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses.

4 Likes

State of the world from the Wanderperspective:

4 Likes

My cousin, who has cancer - Hodgkin’s, I think - had it, and so did his wife. He of course can’t be vaccinated 'cause he’s on chemo. She seems to think nothing of it, having had a mild case. But how much does severity of the virus mean further on down the line; will folks like her have no or slight post-COVID-19 syndrome and those who survived less mild cases have greater chances of more severe PC-19 syndrome (for want of a better term)?

2 Likes

well that sucks. This may be informative, though.

5 Likes

Yeah, undercounting is a real problem.

You can get a quantitative antibody test from any large hospital or commercial lab. Depending on what US state you are in (most of them) your doctor will need to order the testing.

That said, it’s not terribly useful. If you are vaccinated, you should be fine. If you have natural immunity from a previous infection, that immunity is not quite as good but lasts at least six months, and usually longer. But if you were previously infected, and have not been vaccinated, you should get vaccinated anyway. Vaccination immunity lasts longer.

If you are outside the US, and had one or two Oxford/AstraZenica jabs, you should get an additional jab with either the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna mRNA vaccines. The AZ jab does not appear to be as effective as the others.

3 Likes

:thread:

5 Likes

Mmmm, soupy.

4 Likes

Neither my cousin or his wife seem to be too concerned. I know he knows more science than she does, but his knowledge is in the category of engineering and mechanics. She just doesn’t seem to care to want to understand anything she can’t easily comprehend.

Truly, the conservative movement to make anyone who is even remotely interested in any sort of science appear to be an unworldly egghead has succeeded. And it started being that way centuries ago.

4 Likes
4 Likes

“Low risk”???

/smdh

5 Likes

My ducking gourd, what the hell is their definition of “low-risk”?

4 Likes

I think it’s legal boilerplate-- consider this framework

Community Notification Letter: General notification sent when a COVID positive case is confirmed

Low Risk Letter: Notification sent for possible low risk contact with COVID positive individual

Close Contact Letter: Notification sent for close contact with COVID positive individual (Close contact is within 6 feet of a COVID positive person for a total of 15 minutes or more in a 24 hour period)

5 Likes

right? i mean, i kind of want to get into a discussion with someone who thinks this is true and that’s why they refuse to get vaccinated, just so i can ask them, “so? so what if you become magnetic? i mean, to be clear, you won’t, but wouldn’t that be kinda cool? you’d never accidentally drop some things, and you could find that screw or needle you dropped easily…”

i just wanna hear what they say.

i had a dude tell me the other day that long covid isn’t a thing. i said, “umm, what? yes, it totally is. i can say from experience that it’s definitely a thing.” and he said “oohhh, your experience! yes, let’s not go with science, let’s just go with your one-off experience. long covid isn’t a thing, just like long flu isn’t a thing.”

i said, “umm, ok, let’s go with the science, then – i could link endless amounts of scientific articles proving that long covid is indeed a thing, and something we are still trying to understand. but i think i’m done with you. bye-bye.”

these peole infuriate me.

6 Likes

Oh LAWDY yes!

And that’s why I don’t deal with 'em if I can possibly get away with it. Those kinda folks make Mizzurah mules seem cooperative.

2 Likes
4 Likes

4 Likes

In “The Love You Make”, by Peter Brown & Steven Gaines, it says that Paul was up at his farm in Scotland and had a girl other than Jane Asher with him, and that he’d caught crabs. The chemist didn’t have any Rx for human crabs, but he did for sheep, and allegedly Paul “made do” with that.

2 Likes

Well he caught them from a sheep so…

1 Like