Love in the Time of COVID-19

1 Like
9 Likes

Yup, says right there, “Horse Owners” - not “Horses’ Patoots”.

4 Likes

Controlling Covid is difficult when a substantial proportion of the ruling class in your largest city are actively advocating for the spread of the virus.

On the extremely-grim-bright-side, the Sydney outbreak is now beginning to spread from the working class suburbs back into the wealthy coastal enclaves that it came from. Which may eventually prompt some action once the rich begin to feel threatened.

3 Likes

10 Likes

There were two AFL finals in Launceston this weekend. Crowds were limited to 10,000 (despite there being enough demand to sell out the stadium several times over; Mr & Mrs First Dog drove up from the Huon Valley) and masks were required.

Again, this is in the context of zero-Covid Tasmania.

Meanwhile, in the UK:

And remember the Youtube farmer with the cute cows?

2 Likes

Fifteen more cases in Orange since the initial six.

Mum’s on Byng Street.

At the beginning of Covid, I called her and asked her to assure me that she was taking it seriously. I thought she would; both her and her partner Jim are highly educated people who spent much of their lives working in fields related to healthcare. And she assured me that they would.

Since then, they’ve travelled to Queensland to babysit Jim’s grandkids every school holidays. And Sydney a few times. And they went on a multi-state tour for my Mum’s 75th birthday.

I called them the day the Orange outbreak was discovered. Mum talked about how glad she was that they’d taken the chance to visit lots of their local friends before the lockdown began. Jim wasn’t there, as he’d ducked out to the shops to get some fresh ingredients for dinner. As he does pretty much every day.

Aaaargh.

5 Likes

2 Likes

A friend told me about how he seemed to be immune to COVID-19 (which everyone in his family had but him) because he is O-. He is not a flat earther type, but you never know around here, so I looked it up and…apparently it is a thing?

Most of the articles reference this study and then I can’t find more recent info.

4 Likes

But the first thing I found was this…

then this…

Both from last year, the latter came out before the former.

5 Likes
2 Likes

a couple of my sisters thought that blood type had something to do with it early on. one might still, i don’t know, but i haven’t heard them mention it in a long time. anyway, they are both vaccinated now, so that’s something.

7 Likes

My son and I haven’t been tested, though we’ve both been vaxxed. They don’t seem to get how neuro-atyps don’t like things shoved up their noses (I just shivered typing that).

6 Likes

It’s unclear why the hospital didn’t mount any defense under a new law passed in the state budget this summer that grants health care providers the “freedom to decline to perform” any service which violates their “conscience,” as informed by moral, ethical or religious beliefs.

5 Likes

fwiw, they don’t do that deep swab anymore, from what i know. when i got tested over a year ago, it was just gently right on the inside a bit. no brain tickle!

5 Likes

The nose extraction (swab) is very … got-a-snoot-full-of-pool-water kind of thing. I learned for sure what it feels like to get a cotton swab shoved near to one’s brain.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I got a test back in November, and it does feel weird and tickly, but they didn’t poke it all the way in. It wasn’t painful, just strange, and it’s over pretty quickly. (Of course, it probably varies with the skill of the practitioner.)

It was negative, I just had a sinus infection. The relief of the result was worth it.

4 Likes

I had one back in Jan, due to a potential exposure… thankfully brief, not horribly invasive, and negative. I’m sure that how invasive it is depends on the provider, so I definitely sympathize.

4 Likes
3 Likes