Love in the Time of COVID-19

They do still if you’re about to have a procedure that involves going down someone’s throat. Ask me how I know!

6 Likes

In one south Georgia county, the anti-vaxxers tracked down public health employees through social media and harangued them with messages of hostility and misinformation about vaccines.

And the event that was canceled was a north Georgia mobile vaccination event, where an organized group of people showed up to harass and name-call public health workers.

“Aside from feeling threatened themselves, staff realized no one would want to come to that location for a vaccination under those circumstances, so they packed up and left,” said Nancy Nydam, Toomey’s spokesman.

“It comes with the territory to someone in my position,” Toomey said of the threats. “But it shouldn’t be happening to those nurses who are working to try to keep this state safe.”

5 Likes

maybe it’s just not needed for most tests. i’m glad i didn’t need one, but i was mentally preparing for it!

4 Likes

About 25 years ago, I had an intestinal parasite. The central american town I lived in flooded, so the wells and the septic tanks got all mixed up. Super fun.

When I moved back to the US, I was having intestinal distress, let’s say. Heartburn all the way to… you know, I’ll leave it there. It was not good.

After a bunch of tests, they found out which particular parasite it was and gave me something to take. I don’t know what it was, the doctor was good at the medicine but a real dick on bedside manner. Mostly, I wanted to never have to see him again.

The medicine was bad, it made me more miserable than the (ahem) other stuff. But, it was for two weeks, and then I was better. So much better, like I had forgotten what it was to have no pain for days at a time, and getting to eat and digest whatever I wanted to.

All that to say, if a person has worms or any parasite, they really need to get that squared away. But, taking a dewormer, at balls-to-the-wall dosage that’s probably not even measured… I don’t think (edit to add) they really understand what they are getting in to there. I got a medically necessary dosage, and it sucked, bad. I’d only ever do that again if a doctor said it was necessary, and even then I’d ask a lot more questions.

What has to go on in a person’s mind that they see strings of their own intestinal lining in their shit, and think “yep, this is fine”? I mean, even if they felt they were literal dead worms, wouldn’t that be the time to see a properly trained physician?

9 Likes

I can’t remember the name of the drug, but I had to take pills that were compounded with a drug used against anthrax in cattle to get rid of boils on my posterior (gotten from being stupid and staying in a relationship w/someone who lived in a bedbug-infested house, back in 2010). My doctor at the time was a man out of Africa, near Lake Victoria, and I trusted him. And they worked; I don’t remember any nasty side effects, either.

The wilful ignorance of these folks astounds me, as well as their wilful acceptance to take and follow advice from people with no clue (except as to how to make $$$).

The “Me” generation were super-generous compared to these folks. Today, they don’t even care about all the overworked, overburdened, hospital workers - and not just the medical staff. What about the administrative and janitorial and maintenance workers, as well?

6 Likes

Food for thought:

10 Likes

What I worry about is that, rather than changing their minds, antivaxxers seeing news of other antivaxxers dying is going to convince them that there’s conspiracy to silence them.

8 Likes

I’ve not seen evidence of that in most of the articles I’ve read about people whose loved ones have died as a result of the virus. Not that it can’t/won’t happen, but I think it’s a reallllly small group that would feel this way.

And then we have the folks who are just stupid:

1 Like

The U.S. now has over 45% of the active cases in the world.

It’s getting rough down south. An old friend from school had a heart attack last week. She had to sit 3 hours in the ER waiting room before they could even get things started with blood pressure and EKG. After a bunch of tests, they found 95% blockage on one side, 70% on the other and did angioplasty and stents. After a few days there she’s home and recovering.

But keeping people 3 hours in the waiting room when they’re showing signs of a heart attack is not good. And that’s a city with 6 hospitals, including a couple of really big ones.

They currently are at above 90% beds occupied, 4/6 hospitals have no ICU beds left, and there are only 30 left total except in the children’s hospital, which has another 18 available and is luckily only at 70% regular and 75% ICU occupancy.

That’s for a city of about 1 million people.

6 Likes
1 Like

A 24-year-old Illinois woman is behind bars on Oahu – accused of using a fake vaccination card to bypass the state’s mandatory quarantine.

The card clearly shows that she’s fully up to date with the “Maderna” vaccine, with more than a month between the two shots. And both shots from an identical lot number, if I’m reading the scribbles right. :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

How much you wanna bet she did the same to her ID to get into a bar before she was 21?

4 Likes

The FDA issued a recall for some Philips CPAP machines.

The polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) sound abatement foam, which is used to reduce sound and vibration in these affected devices, may break down and potentially enter the device’s air pathway. If this occurs, black debris from the foam or certain chemicals released into the device’s air pathway may be inhaled or swallowed by the person using the device.

I wonder if the particles are similar, i.e., from some kind of filter.

Or maybe bug parts, rodent hairs, or roach droppings.

3 Likes

Maybe science has finally identified dark matter.

3 Likes
3 Likes
12 Likes

I have a theory about this stuff.

I believe that after a year and a half of living with COVID-19, that people are finding relief and pleasure in the act of taking a very large and painful dump. I think that it provides needed psychic relief.

3 Likes

Personally, I’d eat an entire whole wheat zucchini bread with prune jam, if that was my goal, but to each their own, I guess.

6 Likes

Followup thread:

And comment :thread::

2 Likes

That seriously reads like an Onion article. Tic Tok.

3 Likes