Love in the Time of COVID-19

just to tie up that discussion, Politifact has weighed in:

8 Likes
6 Likes

From todayā€™s Melbourne antivax protest:

5 Likes

Unvaxed sperm is the next Bitcoin? If thatā€™s not someone trolling the crowd, I have no hope for the human race.

9 Likes

Letā€™s hope so. Mining that is a lot easier and way more fun.

3 Likes

There are some weird sexual + blood purity obsessions out there on the far right.

I doubt theyā€™re trolling. Now if they added NOFAP and NFT Iā€™d think they were trolling.

4 Likes

A new vaccine-explainer video crossed my Twitter timeline today:

Hereā€™s the Vimeo link:

4 Likes
7 Likes

Minimal risk on this one; it sounds like he never left the airport before he was quarantined.

7 Likes

5 Likes

BTW: the replies in that thread are loaded with people (looks like theyā€™re mostly mainlanders) demanding that Monte stops reporting on Covid cases, because ā€œweā€™re all vaxxed now, youā€™re scaremongering, shut upā€.

3 Likes

My family scheduled me for a booster shot, but the time didnā€™t work at all with my work schedule, so I canceled. And then found out that Iā€™m not actually even eligible for the booster shot yet. Not old enough, not immunocompromised, not working in healthcare. My family insisted that I reschedule and ā€œJust lie to them, tell them youā€™re immunocompromised, they donā€™t check.ā€

So Iā€™m a little torn.

On the one hand, I donā€™t lie. Thatā€™s why my wife calls me ā€œher moral compassā€. And hypothetically, (assuming it was managed properly), those people who need the shot more should be getting it first - if we all just went to get it, there might not be enough, Iā€™d be taking from someone who needs it more.

On the other hand, itā€™s my duty to be as vaccinated as possible for not only myself and my family but society. And at least a third to a half of the people will refuse to get it anyway. Thereā€™s no shortage; they could make it available to everyone and weā€™d still have plenty.

For now Iā€™ll just wait my turn. I donā€™t get out much, so not much worry, and even if Iā€™m not boosted, Iā€™m still vaccinated at least.

8 Likes

In case it isnā€™t clear: I donā€™t post these sort of statistics in order to gloat or sneer.

I post them in order to emphasise the degree to which the US/UK death tolls were created by avoidable human malice rather than just being some inevitable act of God.

8 Likes
5 Likes

Iā€™m reminded of

Collectively the US government and business leaders (pretty much the same thing) decided that a certain amount of sacrifice was necessary to appease the great beast of The Economy. Thus dooming the economy in the just slightly longer term than they were thinking. As always.

Locally, the (majority Republican) county council takes exception to every health measure the (Democratic) county executive, who is a goddamned doctor, has wanted to take because oh noes tyranny!!! You canā€™t make perfectly sensible unilateral decisions that save lives and shorten the length and intensity of the pandemic!

ā€¦

My 50th birthday is coming up the day after Thanksgiving, and with 3 other November birthdays in the family, my mother-in-law wanted to throw a big party for all of that.

My sister-in-lawā€™s husband seems to be a die-hard Trumpster, and is unvaccinated despite working in a nursing home. My parents are borderline paranoid about COVID ā€“ they still quarantine their mail ā€“ and were absolutely not comfortable spending a few days in the presence of this person. Itā€™s my birthday, and I havenā€™t seen my parents in two years, and frankly I donā€™t want to deal with a Trumpster either. So weā€™re going to their house for Thanksgiving/birthday shenanigans instead. (And at least that way I know there wonā€™t be a politics-fueled fistfight between my dad and my spouseā€™s dad.)

9 Likes

Oh, i thought it was people just being their natural cruel selves, didnā€™t know it had an official name; probably didnā€™t until Engels gave it one.

2 Likes

I call it ā€œreverse suicide.ā€

3 Likes
3 Likes

Iā€™m getting my booster this Wednesday. I got my J&J shot in late March, so itā€™s been over six months. Looking out for myself and my family.

I wonder what this winter will be like where I live. The big sales were bad enough with no pandemic going on, but with so many people not getting vaxxed and/or wearing masks in public, and with so many things being openā€¦shudders and not just from the cold

3 Likes

Lisa is now sitting at home nervously waiting for her test results.

Predictably, the school only made it a few weeks before shutting down again; two kids known to be infected.

4 Likes