Love in the Time of COVID-19

6 Likes
6 Likes

4 Likes

That FLOTUS quote is kind of hilarious, bc it makes me think they should practice better oral hygiene. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I’ve been back to double masking in public and noticed last time I was in the grocery store that walking down the cleaning products aisle is way less gag inducing when wearing the masks.

5 Likes
6 Likes

From South Australia:

We don’t have a “14th Amendment” here, but we do have a Section 14.

It says:

6 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

This is the sort of thing that is so “well, duh, obviously”, that I am astonished that it isn’t universal.

4 Likes

Does anyone make a monetary profit from it? If the answer is “No”, then it’s probably not going to be universal.

So many folks aren’t concerned with common sense, only with dollars and cents.

5 Likes

The country’s daily average of new cases has jumped 29 percent over the last two weeks, and the current average for daily new cases is nearing 94,000, according to data tracking by The New York Times.

But about 41 percent of the US population is not yet fully vaccinated, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That includes 47 million adults and more than 12 million teens who are eligible for vaccination but are not yet fully vaccinated, CDC Director Rochelle Walensky noted in a White House briefing Monday afternoon.

The data continues to indicate that unvaccinated people account for the vast majority of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, she emphasized. Compared with fully vaccinated people, unvaccinated people are six times more likely to test positive for COVID-19, have a ninefold risk of being hospitalized with COVID-19, and are 14 times more likely to die from COVID-19.

Do you know someone who has gotten COVID-19? Do you know someone who has died from it? I do, and I suspect too many people could answer yes to those questions.

6 Likes

In the week of November 11 to 18, nearly 142,000 children reported getting COVID-19. That’s an increase of 32 percent from two weeks ago. Overall, cases of COVID-19 in the US have increased 27 percent in the past two weeks.

Though children have lower risks of severe disease and death from COVID-19, at least 25,000 children have been hospitalized during the pandemic for COVID-19 and at least 636 children have died, according to data from the AAP. Pediatricians also note that the long-term effects of COVID-19 on children are unknown, and some do develop prolonged symptoms. Lastly, even if children have mild cases of COVID-19, they can still transmit the virus, potentially to elderly relatives and caregivers, who are at higher risk of severe disease.

We have an appointment to get my daughter vaccinated, but it is still some weeks out because we are being cautious and only going to a location where masking is mandatory (hospitals, clinics, not pharmacies.) I would hate to think that we’d avoided any exposure for this long only to fail in the process of trying to protect her.

7 Likes

Yes to both.

4 Likes

Cases have been skyrocketing across the European region since the start of October, with cases rising from around 130,000 per day to the current all-time high of more than 330,000 per day. For the week ending November 21, the region of 53 countries—including the European Union, the United Kingdom, Russia, and several countries in Central Asia—reported 2,427,657 new cases, representing 67 percent of all COVID-19 cases reported globally.

The countries now seeing the highest numbers of new cases per day are Germany, the United Kingdom, Russia, France, and Turkey, according to data tracking by The New York Times. Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Romania, and Germany are reporting the highest daily numbers of deaths in the region.

At this point in the pandemic, the European region has recorded over 1.51 million deaths, and COVID-19 is the No. 1 cause of death. With the current surge, deaths are projected to reach more than 2.2 million by next spring, and officials expect “high and extreme stress” on health systems in dozens of countries.

In a blunt statement Monday, Germany’s health minister, Jens Spahn, warned that “by the end of this winter everyone in Germany will either be vaccinated, recovered or dead.” Given the options, Spahn urged Germans to get vaccinated. The country has one of the lowest vaccination rates in Western Europe, with only 68 percent of people fully vaccinated. While Spahn said he was against setting vaccine mandates, he called getting vaccinated a “moral obligation.”

“In many countries and communities, we’re concerned about the false sense of security that vaccines have ended the pandemic and that people who are vaccinated do not need to take any other precautions,” Dr. Tedros said. “Vaccines save lives, but they do not fully prevent transmission.” Fully vaccinated people can still get breakthrough infections and spread the virus onward. And with continued transmission comes the continued risk that new variants will emerge.

4 Likes

Well, them Europe-peens are communists! :roll_eyes:

8 Likes
4 Likes

That is crappy news.

3 Likes

Only Trump can save us from the Biden Virus.

2 Likes

Who’s gonna save us from HIM?

3 Likes
3 Likes