Love in the Time of COVID-19

Animation warning.

5 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

A coworker got it, as did my dumbass QAnon-aligned cousin and 6 of his coworkers (literally everyone in their company that wasn’t vaccinated).

An old acquaintance who was an NICU nurse was in the hospital with it for 8 months, part of that in a coma, needed a double lung transplant, and has not a lot of life expectancy now. My brother’s wife’s aunt died of it.

10 Likes

Switzerland’s lockdowns were never as strict as its neighbours. People were allowed outside for exercise whenever they wanted and the schools only closed for a few weeks.

But last summer, with cases falling dramatically, Switzerland didn’t have a celebratory, UK-style “freedom” day either.

Instead, a Covid certificate was introduced with proof of vaccination, negative test, or immunity through having had the virus. In September it became obligatory to enter bars, cafes, restaurants, cinemas, museums, sporting events, and face-to-face university classes.

The government hoped the measures would encourage people to get vaccinated. Instead, many took to the streets and others gathered enough signatures to challenge the Covid certificate in Sunday’s referendum.

For weeks there have been demonstrations. Some have turned violent, with police using water cannons and rubber bullets against protesters trying to storm parliament.

At a rally in Bern this month, thousands turned out to hear speakers, including renowned anti-vaxxer Robert Kennedy Jr, who hailed Switzerland as Europe’s last great hope against what he claimed were sinister powers forcing people to get vaccinated, while at the same time, via the Covid certificate, introducing a draconian mass surveillance system.

3 Likes

Google says the caption translates as “my hero”:

9 Likes

Just in time to be reversed by the Thanksgiving surge.

7 Likes

Yeah and people will likely blame “Omicron.”

2 Likes

So we’re up to omicron already.

2 Likes

Nu was skipped because it sounds like “new”. Xi was skipped because it sounds “Chinese”.

5 Likes

Seriously?

4 Likes

“‘Nu’ is too easily confounded with ‘new,’” Tarik Jasarevic, a W.H.O. spokesman, said on Saturday. “And ‘Xi’ was not used because it is a common last name.”

5 Likes

Seems reasonable enough, but why’d they skip Digamma?

2 Likes

Because then people would confuse it with the digamma function.

And Omega makes some of think of Charlton Heston and vampires.

1 Like

My goodness, what will they say when they learned we skipped vitamin F, G, H, I, and J?

8 Likes

If those two are taunting you, you must be doing something right.

8 Likes

They wouldn’t know, they got an E in Health class.

5 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes