Love in the Time of COVID-19

Yegad, there’s an awful lot of supposition and jumping to conclusions in that.

Edit:

(It looks like a small correction has been made to the article since, but that seems like a rather important detail to drop)

3 Likes
2 Likes

1 Like

My daughter and I both received our bivalent vaccine doses today, which marks my fourth dose overall. So far I’m a little tired (which may be largely indistinguishable from normal) and my arm is a bit sore at the injection site. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

8 Likes

my arm was sore and i slept a bit longer than normal after my bivalent shot, and i felt achy the next day, but after that i was fine. the previous three shots hit me MUCH harder. i slept like 10 hours and felt like crap for an entire following day after each of those. hopefully you’ll have an easier experience too.

6 Likes

Same experience for me. Much weaker reaction.

4 Likes

I got the Pfizer jab this time (I’ve been all Moderna up to now.) I had no reaction whatsoever this time, despite a day of general malaise after all the previous jabs. Which I thought was weird, because the two vaccines are pretty much functionally identical. Human biology is strange.

5 Likes

For people ages 18 to 49, the relative vaccine effectiveness (rVE) for a bivalent booster against a symptomatic infection was 30 percent compared with people who had received two or more monovalent doses, with their most recent shot between two to three months ago. The rVE in this age group jumped to 56 percent when compared to people with two more monovalent doses, if the most recent dose was given eight or more months ago.

The study has limitations, including that it’s based on self-reported data, it doesn’t account for different exposure risks, combinations of vaccinations and past infections, or different behaviors, such as mask wearing and social distancing. Vaccine estimates could also change with future SARS-CoV-2 variants.

But, overall, it shows the bivalent vaccines provide “additional protection against infection compared with previous vaccination with two, three, or four monovalent vaccines alone.”
Currently, only 11.3 percent of eligible Americans have received a bivalent booster shot.

4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes
9 Likes

Lawmakers have already lambasted Pfizer for the steep increase. In a letter sent last month to Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla, Senators Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Peter Welch (D-Vt.) called the price hike “pure and deadly greed” and accused the company of “unseemly profiteering.”

I would like to understand the conditions under which profiteering would be seen as seemly.

It’s almost seems like the relentless pursuit of profit doesn’t produce the best outcomes.

5 Likes

I thought that’s what capitalism was all about?

2 Likes

New Covid hospital admissions are now at the fourth-highest rate of the pandemic, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Covid hospitalizations declined somewhat after the summer wave, but never dropped to the low levels seen after previous spikes, persisting through the fall and rising again with the winter holidays.

“Hospitals are at maximum capacity,” said Brendan Williams, president and CEO of the New Hampshire Health Care Association, of his region’s current rates. “I’m not sure what the trajectory of this thing’s going to be, but I am worried.”

The majority of Covid hospitalizations are among those 65 and older, although the share for children under four roughly doubled in 2022.

In the past week, Covid deaths rose by 44%, from 2,705 in the week ending 4 January to 3,907 in the week ending 11 January.

This is one of the greatest surges of Covid cases in the entire pandemic, according to wastewater analyses of the virus. It’s much lower than the peak in January 2022, but similar to the summer 2022 surge, which was the second biggest.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Did this happen after the Oscars, as well, I wonder?

1 Like

They won’t be held until March 12th:

2 Likes

Why does it seem like that slap wasn’t that long ago, lol? Shows you how much I pay attention to awards shows!

Wasn’t there some sort of awards near the end of last year…? My, have I been dim lately, lol.

3 Likes