Love in the Time of COVID-19

Someone’s going to the “special hell”.

Also…

Once screened, Andersen would direct a seeker to make a $50 “donation” per appointment per person via Venmo or PayPal, with the money going to an unnamed “charitable organization.” Federal prosecutors noted that the charity was linked to an organization to which Moore belonged, which sought “to ‘liberate’ the medical profession from government and industry conflicts of interest.”

There’s something painfully ironic about committing fraud to get money for a group that claims to be concerned about conflicts of interest.

5 Likes
3 Likes

WHO officials on Friday said that the US has not shared reports or data from federal agencies that have assessed how the COVID-19 pandemic began. That includes the latest report by the Department of Energy, which determined with “low confidence” that the pandemic likely began due to a laboratory accident.

Meanwhile, Sen. Roger Marshall (R-Kan.), who has argued in favor of the “lab leak” hypothesis, told The Washington Post the assessment “gives us momentum to expose the true origins of COVID. … As a physician myself, a biochemistry major, I think that there’s just no way this virus could have come from nature. It’s just too perfect.”

From wikipedia:

Marshall was born in El Dorado, Kansas.[4] He attended Butler Community College[5] before attending Kansas State University, where he received a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry and was a member of Beta Theta Pi.[6][7] He received his Doctor of Medicine from the University of Kansas. He completed a residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg, Florida.[8]

Yup, that seems like totally the right combination of credentials to be able to make authoritative opinions about the origin of a pandemic and the perfectness of a virus.

On a totally unrelated note: Does anyone else interpret someone mentioning their major in college when sharing their opinion as a reason to view their claims with greater scrutiny?

Hmm. It appears that I am making a form of ad hominem by pointing at his credentials as a reason for doubting his claims. Fair enough. Let’s see if I can analyze his arguments on their own merits.

Here’s the full quote from the Washington Post:

“It gives us momentum to expose the true origins of covid,” said Sen. Roger Marshall (R-Kan.), who supported Senate probes into Fauci and argued in favor of the leak theory, citing the virus’s infectiousness and ability to evade human immune systems. “As a physician myself, a biochemistry major, I think that there’s just no way this virus could have come from nature. It’s just too perfect.”

I would counter the first argument by pointing out that a “low confidence” report from the DOE does not provide much evidence in support of the “lab leak” theory, by definition. If his implication is that it provides evidence that the “true origins” do not lie in a “lab leak”, then I think there could be an argument made there, but I do not believe he is making that claim.

His second claim, that the virus could not have come from nature, seems to be supported by the following three pieces of information:

• He (is) a physician.
  • He (is) a biochemistry major.
  • It (the virus) is just too perfect.

My counterargument to the first point is that although he was trained as a physician and during an earlier time period practiced as one, he is currently a Senator. At best this is an appeal to authority, but more likely an appeal to false authority. There is nothing inherent in being a physician that automatically makes one’s claims about any topic more reasonable. It’s possible that the knowledge and skills gained while training to be a physician would give him greater ability to form arguments based on medically relevant evidence. None of that is presented alongside his claim, unfortunately.

To his second point, I would make much the same argument, merely replacing the word “physician” with “biochemistry major”.

As for his last point about the relative perfection of the virus. If I am generous in my reading, I could interpret perfect as referring to the virus’ infectiousness and ability to evade the human immune system. Without more information, I can’t reasonably asses whether or not COVID-19 is particularly extreme in either of these categories relative to other viruses involved in global pandemics. If we were to compare based on death toll, the 1918 flu pandemic killed more people in less time than COVID-19. I would even go so far as to say that infectiousness and ability to evade the human immune system are the prerequisites for a pathogen to reach pandemic status. So if the evidence to back up the argument that the COVID-19 virus must be created in a lab instead of in the wild is that it is pandemic worthy, then I think it’s a pretty weak argument at best.

In other words, he’s probably full of shit, but at least I tried to show my work.

The meat of the article is about how the WHO is frustrated at the lack of transparency and sharing information by both China and the US, while being accused by the US of not being transparent themselves, which all feels a bit:

3 Likes
2 Likes

The bill specifically bars requirements for people to receive COVID-19 vaccines. But it doesn’t stop there. It also bars any requirements for people to receive “a dose of messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA),” thus barring requirements for any future mRNA-based vaccines, should they be needed in upcoming pandemics or outbreaks. It also bars requirements for “any treatment or procedure intended or designed to edit or alter human deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) or the human genome,” and “any mechanical or electronic device” that would be placed “under the skin.”

4 Likes

I wonder if they also think it should be against the law to transmogrify lead into gold? Did they set a number of legal hunting permits for unicorns and minotaurs?

And, wouldn’t this outlaw pacemakers? Cause that seems bad.

and “any mechanical or electronic device” that would be placed “under the skin.”

5 Likes

I think it bans “requirements” for those. Which still seems overly broad, but…

2 Likes

Well, Food Mommy is more popular in Misery…

1 Like
2 Likes

Left off the list of vaccine updates are healthy people from ages 5 to 65 who have already gotten their bivalent booster. They are not currently eligible for another booster, the FDA noted. Instead, it referenced its plans to follow an annual fall booster plan, saying, " The FDA intends to make decisions about future vaccination after receiving recommendations on the fall strain composition at an FDA advisory committee in June."

1 Like

As the pandemic coronavirus spread between March 2020 and April 1, 2021, people from both parties saw similar surges in excess deaths—that is, deaths above what would be expected had there not been a global health crisis. But after April 1, when all adults in both states were eligible for vaccination, a gap emerged in the rate of excess deaths between Republican and Democratic voters. Republicans had an excess death rate 7.7 percentage points higher than their blue counterparts, amounting to a 43 percent difference in the excess death rates.

In case this sounds familiar…

The study is just the latest to find a connection between political party affiliation and deaths during the pandemic. But, it takes the connection a step further, going beyond county-level political leanings and looking at how party affiliation linked to deaths at the individual level. The authors—all researchers at Yale University—focused on Ohio and Florida because those were the only two states with readily available public data on voter registration.

The study involved death data on 538,159 people in Ohio and Florida, age 25 and older, and their linked voter registration files. The researchers did not have complete data—the linked data didn’t contain a cause of death or vaccination status. But, they could evaluate excess weekly deaths by age, state, county, and party affiliation. They found that the gap in excess deaths was larger in counties with lower vaccination rates, suggesting that lack of vaccination among Republican voters may partly explain the higher death rates.

5 Likes

I’ll take “Things that did not surprise me because they’re obvious for $1000”. Oh, interesting, “What is ‘idiots being idiots’?”

6 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

gloves

6 Likes

I know I saw it mentioned in another thread, but just thought I’d highlight:

If she had cooperated with the investigation, the board intended to ask Tenpenny about her recommendations and administrations of vaccines, and whether any of her patients had contracted vaccine-preventable illnesses. They also had questions about the evidence she had to support various eyebrow-raising public claims, including those:

regarding COVID-19 vaccines causing people to become magnetized or creating an interface with 5G towers; … and regarding some major metropolitan areas liquefying dead bodies and pouring them into the water supply.

I’d picked up on the magnetization and 5G claims, but soylent green in the water? These people are so weird.

11 Likes

Oddly enough, that might be the most real of all that wacko’s conspiracy theories.

Alkaline hydrolysis is an option in some areas, vs cremation or burial. And disposal of the remains down the drain is a thing they can do. But that’s not pouring it into the water supply any more than flushing a toilet is pouring poop into the water supply.

4 Likes

So what you’re saying is, that my POOP CAN BE MAGNETIZED?!!!?!?!!!? I knew it!

6 Likes

Hope it’s not attracted to

Oh forget it.

3 Likes

But even if you think your poo is magnetic and smells like roses, it’s not a good idea to try replacing your fridge magnets with it.

5 Likes