Love in the Time of COVID-19

Are you starting a pool?

2 Likes

THIS book - my copy’s falling apart but still readable.

3 Likes

What is special about 60,000?

2 Likes

I keep hearing that number as how many may die in the US. First they thought 2 million, then it kept getting smaller as models were tuned. Trump and co. have used the uncertainty as another excuse to revile experts and reopen the economy sooner rather than later.

Now Fauci is stating there will be a second wave:

4 Likes

Praying he didn’t wash his hands, gets sick, gives it to Trump, and then to all the other assholes down the line of succession so we have Pelosi as pres.

7 Likes

Odd, I kept seeing numbers in that range thrown around by the “it’s no worse than the flu” crowd (entirely ignoring that 1: 60k is the number for the worst recent flu season, and 2: the speed at which corona has been both infecting people and killing people is far worse)

6 Likes
2 Likes

Please be true

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-presented-with-grim-internal-polling-showing-him-losing-to-biden/2020/04/29/33544208-8a4e-11ea-9759-6d20ba0f2c0e_story.html

9 Likes
4 Likes

“I’m not losing to Joe Biden,” Trump said at one point

Yeah, bend reality to your delusion. Not like it’s the first time.

3 Likes

He said that last week:

3 Likes

Trump and the various governors will prove him wrong.

The second wave will be in summer.

7 Likes

So long as we still have hotspots in commercial business centers we will keep getting waves.

4 Likes

“Frankly I would call it forcibly imprisoning people in their homes against all their constitutional rights…that’s my opinion,” Tesla boss Elon Musk, who has been opposed to the lockdown measures, told investors in an earnings call on Wednesday.

3 Likes

Yeah, but when’s that? What with climate change and all…we had a 70F day in SE Michigan in March (we usually have them in January or February)!

1 Like

Reminds me of this tirade on FB…of course, only a photo on his profile, no transparency whatsoever:

“How is it that Americans got to the point of being crippled by fear, just because they were told to? How is it that Americans became so hateful towards others that refused to join them? Life is dangerous. For everyone. Life ends. For everyone. So what do we do until then? Cower in our beds all day and never face life? The modern progressive leftist sure would like to. If we’re to beat this virus, it will be in the manner that nature has always provided for us to do; by developing antibodies through exposure. Yes, some of us, as always, will die in this process. And yes, every death is tragic. So hate on the grand architect of nature and our existence if you must. The rest of us are still going to carry and live on - until we don’t. And if we as a species are unable to surmount this biological obstacle and it does us in, well, you leftists trembling in fear and demanding the rest of us do as well with you, are the same leftists who despise humanity to begin with and equate humanity with a scourge upon this earth anyway. So hey, what are you bitching about now, for? You finally got your wish to come true.”

3 Likes

Was this a Musk rant or someone else?

Christ what an asshole. That someone would think anyone would wish for a pandemic like this (with all the missteps at high levels) has got to have a couple screws loose (or maybe a better metaphor would be “tightened far beyond specs with a power torque wrench”).

5 Likes

I think we can safely name these assholes “the Death Panel wing of the Republican Party”.

7 Likes

Nah, a friend of a friend on FB. I don’t get why folks let these people on their friends lists, let alone why they even bother to even KNOW them in the first place, honestly.

3 Likes

Yeah, except that there’s not any force involved. And you’re allowed to go out, so long as you avoid doing things that are particularly dangerous to yourself and others. So, really, nothing like that at all.

These jackasses are so tiring…

6 Likes