Love in the Time of COVID-19

So. I finally got sick of my fucking neighbor, after he had ANOTHER gathering today and got too drunk and started yelling at his friends like it was a Hmong telenova. Having decided at that point to keep my nose out of it, I merely listened and laughed.

And then it escalated, with him screaming drunkenly at his guests to fucking leave blah blah blah drunken pushy pushy come and get me - you know the drill. So they leave. Then he starts some shit in the back, ad nauseum.

THEN, he goes out in the front of his house, on the driveway and SCREAMS about money and blood and buying steaks and fuck them and this neighborhood. At that point, I laughed. Loudly. And the two panels that open up on my bay window were open. So he heard me. He then said he would whoop my ass. I yelled back from my front door, saying he needed help (he fucking DOES!) and it was a lot of yelling back and forth. When he again threatened me, I went back in the house and called the cops and told them what I just wrote. I called back to see if they wouldnā€™t come as things quieted down, but things were already in motion.

They got here, and I had the Raggedy Ann Iā€™m mending in my hand, explaining without my mask up but six feet away what happened. When the one went next door to see what what up, the other asked about the doll, adding some humor to the sitch. The partner found out neighbor was passed out. I was told to call them again should my neighbor try anything, and not to goad him (Iā€™m sorry, but I was SICK OF BEING BULLIED and had to speak up.)

No one else on the street did anything. Itā€™s so fucked-up. They have KIDS there, fercrissakes!!! I worry about THEM, fuck the adults. But the kids had toā€™ve seen and heard what was going on. And they deserve better.

8 Likes

North Carolina has reported its highest one-day spike in new COVID-19 cases, a development that comes a day after the state entered its second phase of re-opening.

In a statement Saturday, the stateā€™s Department of Health and Human Services reported 1,107 infections ā€“ around 250 more cases than the stateā€™s last highest daily tally.

ā€œThis is a notable and concerning increase,ā€ said the departmentā€™s secretary, Mandy Cohen. ā€œAs we head into a holiday weekend, please practice the three Ws ā€“ wear a face covering, wait six feet apart, and wash your hands frequently. When it comes to our health, we need to work together to protect our families, friends and neighbors.ā€

5 Likes
4 Likes

(the article (below) has more on different topics, but those tweets seemed like strong bullet points)

11 Likes

https://www.fda.gov/food/cfsan-constituent-updates/fda-announces-temporary-flexibility-policy-regarding-certain-labeling-requirements-foods-humans

I canā€™t find a clear statement about what they will or wonā€™t allow with allergens. Elsewhere, Iā€™ve read theyā€™re only barring substitutions which introduce the 8 or 10 most common[ly tested for] allergens, which will leave out a lot of the rest of us.

4 Likes

Journal of the Corona Year

5/24

Today I stopped by Fresh Start Marketplace in Brooklyn Heights to get some produce and coffee. Itā€™s the kind of store that could be considered ā€œgourmet.ā€ The kind of place that has a wide variety of peanut butters, but only in small jars.

As I was walking back on 3rd Avenue I passed the Whole Foods Market on 3rd Street. Outside was a line of people waiting to go inside. It was at least 30 people, all standing 6 feet apart.

Iā€™ve heard reports of similar lines of people waiting to go into various Trader Joeā€™s.

In spite of what it might say in future history books, at no time during this entire PAUSE order have I had to wait outside a grocery store. I donā€™t understand some peopleā€™s desire to torture themselves in order to obtain over-priced food.

In honor of my newly-removed hair, I watched Seven Samurai over the weekend. And, so, I have decided to name my new 'do ā€œthe Shimada.ā€

å–„ć—!

7 Likes

My first thought right back at the beginning when I heard of the toilet paper panic and stores having shortages on things was to mention to my wife to try the local Indian shop, and any Asian shops around. They were, of course, fully-stocked with everything, as expected. All the panicky people hit the big chain stores.

Reminds me of going through a tourist-trap town. On the main strip, with all the theme restaurants and minigolf and go-kart places, you can stop to get a soda - for $5-$7. But if instead you take a left, drive 2 blocks to Bubbaā€™s Corner Store, where the locals go, itā€™s only 50Ā¢ for the exact same soda. Tourists just never think of that.

Seems like in an emergency, most people turn into tourists in their own hometowns. But maybe thatā€™s just how weā€™re going as a society. Maybe even in normal times, too many people have become tourists in their own town. I donā€™t even know my neighbors, and thatā€™s become the norm.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve waited outside once. But at each of the local stores in my area, thereā€™s an employee counting the people who go in and out. The limit is, some fraction of the legal maximum-- perhaps half. It is to be hoped that the employee who counts wears a mask.

(Speaking of masks, the produce employee who wore his mask as beard net now wears a smaller, cuter mask on his forehead.)

1 Like
6 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

This article brings up something thatā€™s really bothered me about coverage of this disease outbreak: how itā€™s messaged as a war. How Trump has been described as a war ting president. This is the first Iā€™ve seen about his this framing of the issue creates a problem for solving it.

7 Likes

Journal of the Corona Year

5/27

I was going to buy some toilet paper at Target this Sunday. Their supply was low. A lot of vacant shelves. All they had were some 18-roll packages of their store brand and Charmin. I would have gotten one of the store brand, but I was buying other things I needed more. I had no extra capacity for transporting a large package of toilet paper. And I didnā€™t want to squeeze the Charmin into my bag. That would be wrong.

On Monday I went to the Walgreens up on 80th Street. After a hunt I finally found the ā€œPaper Productsā€ section. It was in the back in a far corner across from the beef jerky. They had no paper products other than a few travel packages of Kleenex.

During lunch on Tuesday I stopped in the Rite Aid and Walgreens over on 3rd Avenue. In the Rite Aid I couldnā€™t even find a paper products section. In the Walgreens all they had were dozens of packages of store brand paper towels.

Less than a week before this Walgreens had a large supply of cheap, single-roll packages available. I was beginning to get confused and a little concerned.

On Tuesday afternoon I got a call from my manager. He wanted me to put together a special version of the companyā€™s logo. The logo was to be ā€œetchedā€ into ā€œglassā€ panels that will separate the cubicles in the office.

This seems to imply that they want to open the office back up before there is a vaccine. I wouldnā€™t mind going to the office now, while the subway and the office are practically empty. But if all the offices re-open before there is a vaccine, it would not be safe to travel on the subway during rush hour. Masks or no masks.

On Tuesday evening I went to get groceries. There ā€” in its usual spot on a large shelf over the produce section ā€” they had a vast array of toilet paper. Many brands in many sizes. Thatā€™s better.

Today COVID-19 deaths in the US exceeded 100,000.

8 Likes

Both sides are wrong there. Thereā€™s no reason for proxy voting. But also no reason to force them to travel and assemble in person. While there are problems with mass anonymous electronic voting, this is a small, specific set of people who have the clout to set up a simple, secured system. The businesses that own the congressmen are videoconferencing and making decisions remotely, they are capable of doing that too.

7 Likes

doesnā€™t apple news cost money?

2 Likes

Only the upgraded content costs money.

1 Like

Is the Amazon strike continuing?

Owing to warehouse conditions, Iā€™d rather not order from there either way, but some ebooks are only available there.

3 Likes

Doesnā€™t the US typically describe any challenge as a war? And then someone appoints a czar to manage it?

10 Likes