Love in the Time of COVID-19

(older article, from before the order was signed)

On a conference call on Tuesday with local officials, [Governor] Kemp urged them to steer clear of mandates and to use social media and access to news media outlets to encourage residents to voluntarily don coverings. But he stopped short of threatening legal action.

“I realize that many on this call have different opinions on the appropriate response to this pandemic – and that’s fine. But we all agree that masks are good and can help stop the spread,” Kemp said.

“We all know that social distancing makes it hard for the virus to travel. We agree that handwashing can limit exposure. So instead of mandates, I’m asking you to join me in raising awareness.”

Gee, if the Republican party, as a whole, hadn’t spent the last several months spreading misinformation about both the disease and masks, maybe an awareness campaign would work. But now they’ve not only thoroughly poisoned the well with their party for Democrats to get traction on awareness, they’ve also squandered most of their own credibility if they suddenly reverse course. As seen in reactions once the mask order was actually signed:

MARTA leaders said Thursday the transit agency will not enforce a mask requirement, instead they will educate passengers because CEO Jeffrey Parker told the MARTA Board he does not want to provoke confrontations between employees and passengers over what has become highly politicized.

“For reasons that perplex me, we’re so polarized about this issue of having to wear masks,” Parker told the board Thursday.
[…]
Sandy Springs Mayor Rusty Paul said […] he doesn’t want to require masks and then be at odds with Kemp.

Local business owners said they want to avoid all the politics and just get back to making money as safely as possible.

4 Likes

NO IT ISN’T.

5 Likes

Longer than that for a lot of us.

2 Likes
4 Likes

And, [spoilers]…

A few caveats (which should be fairly obvious but will probably be relevant if talking to those throwing tantrums against masks):

(The whole thread has a lot of good information. Like about how basically this same experiment was performed back in 1918…)

6 Likes

My test for my homemade masks: Can I blow out a candle while wearing it? If the answer is “Yes”, then it’s not thick enough; it needs another layer or thicker or more tightly-woven fabric.

4 Likes

Speaking of (not through) masks, something to brighten your day (not):

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/usernotices/counterfeitResp.html

Ain’t capitalism wunnerful.

4 Likes
4 Likes

This thing can really stop coming up with new complications to have with people who catch it any time now.

6 Likes

Well that would be a type of Darwin Award.

4 Likes

They’re closing the bars back down here, thankfully. I really think that’s the only way we’ll have the childcares last.

2 Likes

Having the last word about baking… this is how the rich participate in social justice: venting about nothing and then calling the cops.

5 Likes

So much winning.

6 Likes
8 Likes

And infantdibulum has to be home for the week because he has a sinus infection. Of the seven weeks of “reopened” childcare, one kid or both have been home about a third of the time. “Back to normal” ain’t happening.

12 Likes

I had a sudden memory of some science fiction story where the US was contained with a wall, with the rest of the world unsure of what was going on there (clearly something bad). I wish I could remember the rest of it (or the title or author). Norman Spinrad maybe?

4 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s one with a good possibility of collateral damage.

4 Likes

He’s lost the confidence of Chuck Woolery. :disappointed:

3 Likes

No good news anywhere.

2 Likes

Now both kids home after a bunch of positive tests at school.

7 Likes