Love in the Time of COVID-19

Even Indiana has, so probably.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Husband was moved to telework. So I made a desk for him from an old changing table so we can each have a desk to work at.

All four of us are home. For at least a month. Should be … fun.

7 Likes

9 Likes

I’m still out of work, have been since the end of last July.

But I see what you mean. It would probably be best to go through the Medicare and Medicaid/FAP rolls and start with all the people they know are in need in the first place, many of whom may not have permanent residences. So start with the known very-neediest, then work upwards to the least-neediest and stop there?

2 Likes

It’s like a knock-off Roger Dean “Yes” album cover!

3 Likes

I’m tempted to imagine a world where she catches Covid-19 and really suffers, but that would just aid the spread of the disease. Instead I’ll imagine her bar-hopping being interrupted by being hit by a bus.

3 Likes

Heh. I’m told it’s a classic atari game. I didn’t bother matching the trademark symbols. I need to learn affinity designer so I’m taking this meme generation thing seriously.

Wikipedia has more

2 Likes

My preference would be spending that money improving the social safety nets overall, before this happened.

But if we’re limiting focus to direct responses to the current emergency, what you describe isn’t a horrible start. In my nonexistent perfect world, I’d focus on both direct monetary assistance to those who are hit hardest (either directly by the disease or due to employment impact) as well as relief geared towards those who, as you mentioned, might not have permanent addresses or are otherwise difficult to help with just a mailed cheque (and who, incidentally, are probably also more at risk of being disease vectors). And then maybe take the rest that would have gone to people who don’t need the money (based maybe on taxes/income bracket, even though I know there’s lots of room for grey area there), and use it to fix those fricking safety nets.

I just think the whole “give everyone the same one-time $$ payoff, rich or poor, and let them fight over it” thing is extremely short sighted.

5 Likes

Pointed at by TOS:

3 Likes

Also…

https://www.coventchallenge.com/

7 Likes

Journal of the Corona Year

3/16

Not much happened yesterday. A lot of running around followed by work in the office. I finally got the computer from the head of IT as he sat in a trendy UES restaurant. As I was rushing back to Bowling Green on the 4 train I looked up and saw an ad for the Shillington School of Graphic Design. In huge colorful letters it read “GET PAID TO DAYDREAM.”

I went in to the office this morning. At most, there were 20 people in the car. We all sat very far away from each other.

There were about four other people in the office.

I had two long phone calls with IT — one in the morning and one in the afternoon. We finally managed to get the laptop, the desktop and the servers all working together.

The idea is for we designers to remotely operate our desktop computers with the laptops by way of software called LogMeIn. When this is done, the work can be seen on the desktop’s screen as if the computer is being controlled by an invisible hand.

Around noon I went out for coffee. Café Grumpy was closed. This is on a Monday. They were open yesterday. The man behind the counter said they had been busy because they were one of the few coffee shops in the area that were still open. This is a bad sign.

By late afternoon IT had apparently got my two colleges’ computers functioning properly as well. Their computers came to life and I could see what they were working on. It was like sitting-in with a pair of player pianos.

In the afternoon there was a company-wide email sent out. The Lower Manhattan office would now remain closed until 4/20. A funny date choice indeed.

On my way home I got a text message from a coworker. She apparently heard a rumor that I had been in the office. To use her own words, she was going “nuts.” I wonder how long she had been indoors?

It’s hard to know what “social distancing” will kill-off first: The coronavirus, or all the restaurants, theaters and museums in town.

5 Likes
3 Likes

What the frak?

What kind of BoJo could ever think that was a good plan? or even a self-consistent plan?

7 Likes

roasting the Trump administration for its response to the coronavirus: “Our COVID-19 counter-disinformation unit would need twice the manpower if we included him in our monitoring,” one staffer told BuzzFeed News, referring to a task force designed to stop false reports from circulating during the crisis.

To be fair, that would be a hell of a job.

[edit] Though, on the other hand…

“We were expecting herd immunity to build,” Imperial epidemiologist Azra Ghani said in a press conference on Monday night.

Did they not realize herd immunity relies on a significant portion of the population building an immune response first?

9 Likes

This one, probably

7 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

“CoronaCon: Everywhere in 2020, Free Admission Worldwide”

There’s a convention shirt I’m tempted by…

4 Likes

What pisses me off is this is going to be another Y2K and people will claim “Everybody overreacted and it turned into nothing!”

What worries me is that some of these restrictions won’t be lifted or will be leveraged into more authoritarian controls. I mean I get why we have to enforce them right now, because some toilet seat licker is dangerous to more than just themselves, but I am sure more than a few government folks are looking at the results and going “Hmmm…”

11 Likes