Love in the Time of COVID-19

Just as federal agents aren’t necessary to protect a government building when armed white supremacists are breaking the law, schools can’t possibly police mask-wearing despite having absolutely no problem policing everything else girls (and people of color) wear in the same schools.

I feel like there’s a connection here. If only I could put my finger on it… /s

16 Likes

I just sent the superintendent an email asking why.

This is wrong on so many levels. SMH.

7 Likes

Heck, some are apparently trying to keep up the traditions remotely:

13 Likes

Heh, I taught a class online in my pajamas. Although, I had a good excuse as “pajamas” was one of our vocabulary words.

9 Likes

So the kids have to tilt the camera to show all of themselves? Once a day or at random intervals? Is the superintendent jerking off while watching?

10 Likes

8 Likes
8 Likes

Well good thing no campuses are reopening hastily under administrative pressure

9 Likes
7 Likes

The most effective mask was the fitted N95. Three-layer surgical masks and cotton masks, which many people have been making at home, also performed well.
Neck fleeces, also called gaiter masks and often used by runners, were the least effective. In fact, wearing a fleece mask resulted in a higher number of respiratory droplets because the material seemed to break down larger droplets into smaller particles that are more easily carried away with air.

Folded bandanas and knitted masks also performed poorly and did not offer much protection.

10 Likes

Maybe the student should have been listened to:

FTA:

“The principal just said that they were very sorry for any negative attention that this has brought upon her,"

I think he meant “upon me.”

8 Likes

Nice timing, I was just about to post the Ars writeup about the same thing:

And, in a different district:

In Chatham County on Georgia’s coast, a 7-year-old boy died of Covid-19, becoming the youngest victim in the state, according to data compiled by the state health department. The boy had no underlying health conditions.

10 Likes

I guess it had to be said twice. :frowning:

6 Likes

Hey, remember when one could go any time to return bottles and cans to get money for them, except Sunday mornings, without the section of the store reserved for that purpose being closed because all the bins are full?

Wasn’t it, like, five months ago, maybe, eh?

5 Likes

They’ve never done that anywhere that I’ve lived. But back in the day I knew some people who would occasionally haul their truck full of beer cans down to wherever (scrapyard? the aluminum plant?) to get a few dollars for the scrap. Some of the less-scrupulous would also occasionally manage to ‘find’ some copper wire or steel if there happened to be a construction site or abandoned property nearby. They’d also drive around on trash day looking for any appliances left out by the side of the road.

6 Likes

It’s pretty common in MI and IA, some places of MN. When I lived in Ames everyone had a garage of cans that they cashed when they moved. Hilarious.

5 Likes

Think of all that wasted hoarding space!

5 Likes

“It seems our foreign colleagues are sensing the specific competitive advantages of the Russian drug and are trying to express opinions that… are absolutely groundless,” Russia’s Health Minister Mikhail Murashko told the Interfax news agency on Wednesday.

4 Likes
7 Likes

I think he says something like “some professionals say that you should wear a mask and the exact same number of professionals say you don’t have to.”

So 100000 = 1 too.

6 Likes