Love in the Time of COVID-19

Because if there’s one thing zombies are known for, it’s wearing surgical or cloth masks to prevent disease spread.

11 Likes
5 Likes

9 Likes

According to the Harvard Global Health Institute, the Peach State now leads the country in positive cases, with more than 25 cases per 100,000 people.

5 Likes

First day down. Everyone was really, really good about masks in my classes, and my daughter kept hers on all day at school.

I do my two in-person classes first. Each has about half the students who opted online, so the rooms are below capacity and we can spread out really well. My one graduate course is online, which is sort of nice. No way to teach programming in-person but with distancing. And I can sit down to teach after 4 hours on my feet.

10 Likes

That sounds nice. Here in TN so many people are wearing masks below their nose, on their chins, just on one ear. It’s scary to go out in public.

10 Likes

The guidance is not a directive—school districts can still decline to include educators in the designation. But some school districts have already made the designation and have signaled that they will keep teachers out of quarantines after exposures, as long as they remain symptom free. That includes school districts in Tennessee and Georgia, according to a report by the Associated Press.

5 Likes

But aren’t we doing too much testing already? /s

6 Likes

This seems like a promising avenue to increase testing coverage without having to cut corners on accuracy, and it doesn’t line anybody’s pockets in the process.

7 Likes

That’s more like it.

1 Like

Wait for the tweet from Dumbshit Prez two days from now.

1 Like

How 2020 that I’m looking at the forecast going “Well, at least I won’t get COVID this week on account of the two hurricanes that are due to strike on my in-person teaching days”

Looks like 3 of my 4 lectures in the first two weeks of class will be remote. The first to test for COVID preparedness, the third and fourth because we have two hurricanes coming next week.

13 Likes
6 Likes

Journal of the Corona Year

8/23 - Going for a record

Most business in New York City have reopened in one way or another. The infection rate, and the people, have largely stayed under control. So last weekend I decided to shop for a few things in Manhattan. Nothing fancy, just some food items.

Traveling to Manhattan during a pandemic is inconvenient. Normally my subway time would be spent listening to deep cuts on my Shure SE215s. But with glasses and a mask, headphones are just one thing too many for my ears.

The last time I went to the the Union Square Green Market in early April the entire perimeter was fenced off. Attendants were only allowing a certain number of people in at a time. Now it’s wide open. It’s wide open, but there are no crowds and people are staying away from each other. On a normal summer Saturday the Green Market would have been a solid mass of humanity.

And that sums up the appearance of Manhattan in general — everything seems normal, but there’s only a few people around. I don’t know where everyone is. Are they isolating in apartments or have they left?

Feeling emboldened by my expedition last Saturday, yesterday I decided to visit a non-essential store. This will be the first frivolous purchase I will have made since mid-March. The stores that have survived are open, and I am lucky enough to still be employed, so it’s my duty to spend a bit.

I exited Union Square station through the northern exit, walked over to Fifth Avenue, then up to West 18th Street. 20 years ago this area between West 14th and West 23rd Streets was filled with independent, useful stores. I was going to visit one one of the last holdouts: Academy Records and CDs.

I check online a few days ago to make sure they still existed. Even without a pandemic I’m amazed they are able to survive. Although I have been back in New York for three years, this is the first time I have bought “physical media” since I left in 2011. I have been living out of boxes in the intervening years and didn’t need to be burdened with more “stuff.”

Walking through the doors it was as if I never left. Everything was in the same place except the DVDs. The staff, as far as I could tell, seemed unchanged too. Even the brittle young woman who I was slightly attracted to 15 years ago is still in the same place beside the register. She’s mellowed a bit.

It was a strange homecoming. Everything was the same, but I had to access a region of my brain that had been dormant for a decade. I ended up spending $40 for two CDs and three albums. I’m looking forward to hearing them if I am ever able to move in.

I heard from “June” today. She’s made new signs and is going to restart the vigil. Whatever the signs say, it’s sure to attract that white supremacist — assuming he’s not in jail. Every time I meet him my soul is eaten away a little more.

6 Likes

Given this uncertainty and the reports of dissent among public health officials, the decision to push the Emergency Use Authorization now, right after Trump’s attack on the FDA, suggests that it was made in response to political pressure, rather than the best available evidence.

3 Likes

Brian Lee Hitchens and his wife, Erin, had read claims online that the virus was fabricated, linked to 5G or similar to the flu.

The couple didn’t follow health guidance or seek help when they fell ill in early May. Brian recovered but his 46-year-old wife became critically ill and died this month from heart problems linked to the virus.

8 Likes
2 Likes

Also - no swab up the nose, which is something I and my son find to be a DREADFUL way to be tested for anything.

5 Likes

He was featured on “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” Poor guy.

3 Likes

Yeah, I can’t help but feel sorry for him – for losing his wife, not for being such an idiot. I wonder if he still thinks it’s due to the 5G-spot thing.

3 Likes