Love in the Time of COVID-19

Yes, for losing his wife, of course. And I’m betting he doesn’t.

3 Likes
10 Likes

As if there were any question of why the CDC is suddenly saying people who’ve been exposed but don’t have symptoms don’t need to be tested for Covid…

10 Likes

So they’re more free to spread it around to other people, instead of quarantining themselves.

4 Likes

Personally, I think the larger part is because of the notion that if we don’t test asymptomatic cases, we can bring our “number of cases” down. What we have in the way of numbers doesn’t really support the asymptomatic cases overwhelming the symptomatic ones, but over the short term, it’s entirely possible it could accomplish just that.

Over the long term, it’s extremely reckless, stupid, and uncaring. But “I hear some people have been saying” that that’s Trump’s middle name.

[Edit: update in another article:]

As for the changes themselves, Adm. Giroir said the decision to not recommend testing for COVID-19 exposed individuals without symptoms was intended to avoid testing too early after an exposure. This could provide a negative result before an infection has had enough time develop and register as positive on a test, thus giving an exposed person a false-assurance of being uninfected.

Yeah, ok, great, but…

It’s still unclear why the CDC did not instead provide a recommended time-frame for asymptomatic testing after an exposure, particularly given that some infected people may never develop symptoms. A positive test result is necessary to ensure COVID-19 patients receive proper care, isolation instructions, and appropriate follow-up. Identifying patients through testing is also critical for contact tracing.

Yeah, that.

6 Likes

Hey, they tested the University of North Carolina students, and got a 31.5% positive rate.

If they hadn’t tested so many students, a third of their student population wouldn’t have been diagnosed with covid.

QED.

10 Likes
1 Like

[Edit] I was not expecting even worse news to come out so soon:

During the Smash Mouth set, lead singer Steve Harwell said: "said: "“Now we’re all here together tonight. And we’re being human once again. Fuck that COVID shit.”

Well, it appears that simply yelling “fuck that COVID shit” was not enough to ward off the virus.

11 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

Good to know that the senses comes back for most people.

@Franko, how’s your sense of smell these days?

7 Likes

even though i’ve been released from quarantine and seem totally better otherwise, my sense of smell and taste are still iffy at best. i can smell more things than i can taste, and even when i can taste things, it’s super muted, sometimes to the point of me wondering if i can actually taste this thing, or am i just remembering what it tastes like? it’s weird, and frustrating. i’m starting to wonder if it will ever completely come back. i keep reading stories of people who have recovered but still have some symptoms months afterwards. one of my nephews is a doctor (who actually worked in NYC this past summer in a COVID ward), and he said that the nerves in the nose grow at about 1cm annually, so depending on the damage it could take awhile to regain it all. sigh.

(but thank you for asking!)

15 Likes

Keeping my fingers crossed! (difficult to type that way…)

5 Likes
4 Likes

I have take one and only one in-person meeting this semester. Yesterday.

After he left, he felt bad, got a test, and was positive.

Fuck.

15 Likes

Various options discussed.

And I think they meant normality.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Normal, normalcy, or normality, whatever we get back to won’t be that for a long time.

4 Likes

I could really go for some precedented times about now.

7 Likes

Or, if nothing else, presidented.

8 Likes