Love in the Time of COVID-19

The COVAX Facility aims to pool resources of high-, medium-, and low-income countries to speed COVID-19 vaccine development, manufacturing, and distribution, working to ensure fair global access to safe and effective vaccines once a vaccine is licensed and approved. There are over 170 countries now in talks to be involved with the effort, which is supporting nine leading vaccine candidates. Some of the countries involved so far are the UK, Canada, Japan, the European Commission, New Zealand, and South Korea.

7 Likes

Fair??? FAIR??? This is communism!

6 Likes
6 Likes

Journal of the Corona Year

9/01

Every Friday evening since the start of the PAUSE order, the CEO of the company I work for has sent out an encouraging email. In each he sums-up the past week and offers a rosy forecast for the next. Mostly what he writes is directed to the people who work for commissions, and has no bearing on my job at all.

He sends these out after the office closes. Normally don’t see them until Monday morning. Below is what greeted me this Monday morning. I removed the salutation and the closing. This is the bulk of what he wrote:

This week on the CNBC show Squawk Box, the legendary real estate investor Sam Zell was interviewed about what CEO’s can do help get the economy get back on track and said the following: “It’s going to require leadership. It’s going to require leaders of all the companies to come back to their offices and lead the people and create the opportunity. Hiding out in the Hamptons or hiding out in Vermont or wherever doesn’t make any sense and is counter-productive.” This resonated with me and I know it resonates with all of us.

While many people have been coming into the office daily already, we will be making a big push heading into September to safely return the vast majority of us to the office on a daily basis. More detail will come on this next week.

But for now, as we have the last week before Labor Day ahead of us, I hope that everyone has a chance to relax and recharge before what I know will be a very active September and few months to come.

So that’s the problem with the US economy — too many people hiding in the Hamptons!

8 Likes

Perhaps he was thinking of his multimillionaire CEO friends instead of the peasants, who I wouldn’t be surprised are all hiding in the Hamptons.*

*spelled that Hamptoms at first, like symptoms, which isn’t far from the truth.

3 Likes

Um…no masks? They do appear to be standing far enough apart, though. But lovely to look at and read about, isn’t it?

2 Likes

no masks needed. The picture was taken way back in 2015.

2 Likes

Oh my dearie-me, I keep forgetting to read those darn captions below the pics - thanks!

2 Likes

That’s close but not where he lives and where his kids went to school. I’m not a fan of the guy (long story) but that shows actual care for others who aren’t fortunate enough to live where he does.

2 Likes

Wow, that is so odd to read…from reading his “Diaries: 1969 - 1979” he comes off to me as a nice guy, confused by life at some points - especially in relation to his parents - but loving and supportive. I was really surprised when I found out about Terry Jones and his second wife.

1 Like

I’ve been on both (d. for eczema and h. for Crohn’s) and both make me severely depressed. But I suppose it’s better than the alternative.

4 Likes

I really admire Stephnie Weir. I relate to her characters (especially Dot; I think I was a low-key version of her).

4 Likes

:smirk:

9 Likes

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis

During a State College Area school board of directors meeting on Monday night, Wayne Sebastianelli — Penn State’s director of athletic medicine — made some alarming comments about the link between COVID-19 and myocarditis, particularly in Big Ten athletes. Sebastianelli said that cardiac MRI scans revealed that approximately a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that can be fatal if left unchecked.

“You could have a very high-level athlete who’s got a very superior VO2 max and cardiac output who gets infected with COVID and can drop his or her VO2 max and cardiac output just by 10 percent, and that could make them go from elite status to average status,” Sebastianelli said. “We don’t know that. We don’t know how long that’s going to last. What we have seen when people have been studied with cardiac MRI scans — symptomatic and asymptomatic COVID infections — is a level of inflammation in cardiac muscle that just is alarming.”

[Edit:]

ESPN is saying those numbers were accidentally exaggerated, and that the comments weren’t meant to directly refer to Penn State athletes being actively known to have cases of myocarditis.

There’s still some meat behind the story of a link between the diseases, though:

5 Likes
2 Likes

Tests done.
Now we wait.
I was in my lab for an extended period with someone who then tested positive.

13 Likes

yikes. best wishes!

8 Likes

I’m going to vent a little bit about this whole situation, because it’s stupid.

We brought students back for dorm, food, and parking income. That is it, that is all.

I don’t want to lose my job. I don’t want the ladies at Subway to lose their jobs. I don’t want businesses in town who depend on foot traffic from students to shutter. We don’t have a federal government that is acting reasonably to prevent these things. So the university felt that they needed to bring students back.

I disagree, but I get it. But why didn’t we do anything to make this possible? My classes were packed to over capacity. That means students can only come to one face-to-face day in my class. They have to do the other online. Was it magical thinking? Why were departments not instructed to have one section online for popular classes? I could have taught my section of a core curricular class online. I could have had 50 students, and the other two faculty could have taught the in-person sections. It would have avoided the hell of this hyflex schedule. The larger university system in which I work cut the cost per credit for people returning to finish a degree. The governor established a special pot of money for teachers to refresh. Those are working adults - maybe they’d like an online class? But no. All three of us are forced to teach hyflex. Literally everything about this is the worst possible way to make face-to-face happen. And every institution that tried for face-to-face is doing it. Why?

My students don’t bring in dorm money. I have all upper-division and MS classes this semester. About 15% of students live on campus. If we would have had fresher and sophomore classes in-person, I think we could have made it the whole semester. All the rooms on campus would have been freed. Every class could be in the biggest possible room. And yet.

As a money-making scheme, what we’ve done makes no sense. I’m worried that when the outbreaks start in earnest (we’re going to begin tracking cases in two weeks - WHAT), parents will lose all trust. They won’t send their kids back. When this is under control, will the dorm model of making money collapse because of this utter clusterfuck? Are we just staving a collapse?

We could have really pioneered what a new world would look like. Instead we got whatever this is.

16 Likes

In one of the harshest punishments imposed to date against students for violations of coronavirus safety protocols, Northeastern University dismissed 11 first-year students this week and declined to refund their $36,500 tuition after they were discovered crowded into a room at a Boston hotel serving as a temporary dormitory.

7 Likes