Love in the Time of COVID-19

same theme

9 Likes

Don’t we always?

4 Likes

Overall, this is about what you’d want to see before moving on to larger trials—no major side effects paired with the production of an immune response that includes neutralizing antibodies. But the larger trials will be essential for a couple of reasons. One is that we need to know if there are rare but severe side effects, which might only become apparent in a larger population. And the second is that we need to know if the formation of neutralizing antibodies is actually protective—something that can only be established by giving the vaccine to a large enough population that some will inevitably be exposed to SARS-CoV-2.

7 Likes
1 Like

I’m sorry. I hope you’re okay and safe.

7 Likes

Yep. God forbid the university lead the way to a better world instead of embracing the status quo that gave people tenure.

8 Likes
6 Likes
1 Like

I was going to teach class from home tomorrow, but my throat is deteriorating so badly that I can barely talk for more than a minute.

I might not get test results back until Monday.

10 Likes

Oh, you poor human! I hope it’s just a sore throat. Healing vibes going to you.

7 Likes

So, I went up to one of the Dollar Tree stores I go to, and I learned some amazing things from the cashier (who was wearing her mask almost down to her chin):

1. Masks are only good for ten minutes.
  2. You can read from the back of a Lysol can and find out that the current virus was here in the 1900s and the 1970s.

I kept my responses limited to “Oh really?” with as much realistically-fake sincerity as I could muster.

Addendum: I forgot - she also spoke of how staying inside kills a person’s immune system, and that the virus should be allowed to run its course, but she didn’t use the term “herd immunity” - if she even knows it.

12 Likes

Sadly, this is one issue with the scientific classification of the virus. People love shortening names, and “coronavirus” is a lot shorter than “novel coronavirus of 2019”.

If only the education system could take up the slack…

I recently had a relative demonstrate to me how much vape smoke would pass through/around a mask, as a demonstration of how little masks do. There’s just so much basic science information involved in responding to something like that…

7 Likes

Don’t I know it! It feels so crushing sometimes.

3 Likes

He’s BACK!

4 Likes
4 Likes

A sample:
Q: “What kind of wine goes with 7th grade math?”
A: “A whole bottle.”

4 Likes

Journal of the Corona Year

9/04

On my way to the grocery store this evening I saw a man who was apparently experiencing a period of psychosis. A somewhat common sight in Manhattan, but a bit more unusual here in southern Brooklyn.

He had the appearance of someone who, on an average day, could fit unnoticed into wider society. But this was not one of his average days. He was slightly unkempt with an angry, suspicious expression on his face.

I had arrived at the store and was in the produce section when he too entered. Although we crossed streets at different places, we both ended up in the same store. I saw he wasn’t wearing a mask. He was in the meat section getting a plastic bag when I moved-on to another aisle.

I next saw him a few moments later passing by the end my aisle. Realizing that he should have been wearing a mask, he put the plastic bag over his head.

And so for a while he was shopping with a plastic bag over his head. Eventually he tore a hole near his eyes to let air in and out. It was as if he was wearing a thin, transparent ski mask.

He his methods might not have been perfect, but he was still more civically-minded than the current president.

9 Likes

Can we sub him for Biden? Would anyone notice?

The saga continues:

4 Likes

COVID negative, but coughed so hard I barfed all over the floor during Zoom class.

Yay…?

14 Likes