Love in the Time of COVID-19

3 out of 4 ain’t bad. :unamused:

1 Like

Who’s the guy with his tongue stuck out? I can’t place him. I wish I couldn’t place the other three.

I don’t recognize any of them. Actually I was referring to the fact that at least I don’t have seasonal depression.

3 Likes

From L to R: Kid Rock, Eminem, David Spade, and some guy sticking out his tongue.

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

The photo was taken at the Joe Dirt 2 premiere. Now you know, and I can purge this trivia from my brain. Thanks, google images.

4 Likes

Oh MY brain won’t do that…it’ll save it whether I want it to or not. like, there’s this undeletable file in the hard drive that’s my memory named “Stupid.Crap”. if I try to delete it or anything in it, it’s as if it may or may not disable other applications.

4 Likes

Neither do I.

2 Likes

I’m almost embarrassed to say I did. I didn’t know the name of the guy on the right, but I knew he was the lead singer from that one group.

I mean, I guess it’s good that someone wants to hire them for something.

3 Likes

i recognize them all, and don’t like any of them. especially the dbag on the left with the black hat.

3 Likes

He is not a kid, nor does he rock.

4 Likes

… But the U.S. has now doubled its death count to top 200,000 victims, and Hidalgo County has become one of the deadliest hot spots for COVID-19. Despite the lack of dense urban areas there — its largest city, McAllen, has fewer than 150,000 residents — the disease has killed more than 1,500 people across the county.

2 Likes

There’s an autoplay Biden/Harris ad, and the usual flashing graphcis.

1 Like

I really feel for the extroverts who’ve had to isolate so much. And for the people that have to get out and work among people during the pandemic. That has to be really difficult.

But something I’ve noticed lately - there are those of us who are introverts, some of whom have worked from home for years. And even among these people who have been dealt the best hand, who should have the least trouble - people are starting to crack. I’m one of those people, and I’m feeling burnout symptoms and seeing others report the same. Lower productivity and energy and focus and so on.

We’re basically built for this sort of thing - should be able to ride the storm out no problem. But when it just keeps going on and on, even we can crack.

So be kind to the people you deal with, and realize that even if they seem like the type to be unaffected, they probably are and might be having a rough time.

12 Likes

10 Likes

Another good reason not to live in South Dakota.

3 Likes

One of the arguments I hear a lot in rural Indiana is that they have ‘natural distancing’ so they don’t have to worry about masks and such.

Indiana is a veritable metropolis in comparison to SD, and yet look at those numbers.

I was finally able to get one local (I’ve known for about 15 years, so we have a rapport) to shut up about it when I pointed out that the state prison had a major outbreak, in which 1/3 of those infected were staff, not inmates, which means they left every day and went home to their families. The prison is right on the major road in the area for fast food, groceries, Walmart/Meijer’s/etc. That’s where they shop, too. I pointed out it didn’t matter how much acreage there was between his home and the next one if everyone ran into each other regularly at the store, the bar, and church. That argument seemed to register!

11 Likes

That would only make sense to rich people, who themselves live on Acreage. Regular people-type people live in small cities or towns or on the outskirts in very large lots that seem to them as being at least acreage-adjacent. Witness our Wanderfound. These regular-style folks don’t talk to lawyers all day, they talk to each other, usually in person, just like you would in a city. But with less visible judginess, because the critical mass of a city means that even if you don’t talk or interact much with more than a few people in a day, every look and glance and step on the sidewalk might be seen and … judged.

That’s one of the aspects of country life that’s different. It’s not a democratic judginess determined by people not in control of each other and needing to find a peaceful existence, it’s being judged by people who act like they are your family. So in a way too familiar with each other and in a way too, more guarded.

I don’t think you realize how far out in the country many people are.

Having 5 acres, say, in rural Indiana will run you a few hundred dollars a year in real estate tax.

There’s so much room when you’re not on the coast. Land is still cheap in many places.

7 Likes