Love in the Time of COVID-19

I haven’t mentioned this to anyone yet, been processing it. But Covid has finally hit my family. Brother in law was in hospital for unrelated stuff and got to go home last week to recover. His wife tested positive for Covid the same day. They’ve been trying to isolate within their house, but now he’s positive too. Nephew’s still testing negative so far. But it’s not good news. My brother-in-law has health problems already, and this is not a good one to tack on.

That led us to a discussion of what if it actually hits someone here in our household. We just couldn’t possibly effectively quarantine. There’s only one bathroom, and you have to go through the central kitchen to get anywhere. So as a family, we’ve accepted that if/when we get it we all get it. And we’ll just deal with it as well as we can.

But on the plus side one of our friends is or has already gotten the vaccination. He’s dealing with Covid positive people all day every day, so that’s a really welcome relief. Perhaps oddly, he’s the one person that we’ve been comfortable with coming over to visit. He’s really serious about proper PPE and distancing and stuff. So even though he’s neck-deep in Covid cases, he seems so much safer than some of these people who just deny it.

I’m happy he’s getting the vaccine, and he does deserve to get it first but… I want it too.

15 Likes

there’s ways you can minimize exposure even in small household spaces. wearing masks inside, distancing as much as possible, and good air flow help. there’s more here at the CDC website:

9 Likes

You just helped me remember part of my dream from last night; it was lucid, because I remember thinking, while I was in the dream, how odd it was no one was wearing masks.

4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Holy shit, man.

5 Likes

I really want a follow-up piece in a few weeks to know how many of those attending, and their family, friends, and workmates, become sick as a result. We need to start naming and shamping these people who are willing to sicken and even kill others for their right to be in a conga line.

5 Likes

Good idea! Along with all the rump rallies, Ghouliani appearances, “million” MAGAt protests, etc., etc.

5 Likes

What is wrong with people?

8 Likes

It sounds like it would’ve happened regardless of the virus.

And I wish I fucking knew. I sometimes wonder what’s RIGHT with people, y’know?

5 Likes

i agree. enough with trying to reason with these people. at this point, they have to know the science and are just ignoring it out of selfishness or to “own the libs” – i say let the virus do what it will with them. and in the meantime the rest of us get to call them out, shame them, and shun them.

7 Likes

A local business doing the best it can for the community and itself during the pandemic.
@Nightflyer, wouldn’t it be great to go there?
How Michiganders Are Celebrating Kwanzaa in 2020

5 Likes

10 Likes

santa2020

7 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes

So. Remember I talked about getting ready to go back out into the world and then the pandemic hit? In late February, I did my bit at a comedy open-mic; only three people that I knew came - a lady and her husband (she’d bought some teaware from me and we hit it off on FB), and my musical partner.

Her husband just died of the virus. I only got to see him in person once. He was nice enough to come down from Lake Orion to Royal Oak with his wife to support me. Just super people. She called him her “hubzilla”.

9 Likes

That’s sad – but one of these days I hope you’ll be able to do the open mike thing again.

My parents moved to Florida when they retired years and years ago. I visited and hated the place, probably for different reasons. But I vowed never to move there.

In a way I’m relieved they are no longer here to witness this mean-spirited insanity (they would be over 100 anyway).

4 Likes

I dunno…I’m tired of waiting to go up on stage and having to listen to dick jokes.

4 Likes

I was born and grew up in Florida. I do not miss the place at all.

My parents moved away from there themselves several years ago… but to Georgia, which I’m not sure is that much of an improvement.

5 Likes