Making/Crafting

What have you been making?
DIY, makerspace, crafting and the like. Post it up!

6 Likes

This morning I finished making this:
https://archive.org/details/HSPVol1.0_201704
Printing it should be possible, but I’m terrible at that sort of thing. I have, of course, the original hard copy (made of paper and glue and ink).

18 Likes

Working on spools. Feeding yarn into a knitting machine requires the yarn be either center-pull caked or coned. I find I hate center-pulls because they tend to knot up at inconvenient moments and actual cone winders are expensive, so I’m repurposing weaving bobbins into spools. I’ve got a functional wood to wood design, and a functional plastic to plastic design, and a spool holder.

It’s all re-working the early Industrial Revolution textile tools from the post-industrial consumer side.

11 Likes

On the outside chance that anybody is interested in actually printing that thing out (and binding it and whatnot), I’ve put up a remux of it for that here:

First half prints on one side of the paper, flip the stack, then print the other side. YMMV etc etc.
Zines are totally a thing!
I’m a [mummble mummble] year old man making his first and I’m really enjoying it. It’s weird.
Mine is made entirely on paper by hand- razor blade, glue stick, sharpie, typewriter. It’s meant to be able to be printed and stapled and enjoyed as a physical item.
If you do print it and whatnot, send a pic my way of a copy in the wild. That’d be fun!
My (current) inspiration for this was AvE and his Vice #7:

9 Likes

I’m filling a grave-depth hole. Pay no attention to my missing carpet!

18 Likes

WhoWhat is buried in it? Wait, never mind, forget I asked. :wink:

16 Likes

Good call. If you’re not careful, they may end up needing a second hole…

14 Likes

Dude: pressure vessel, lye and a warmer. Water heater tank works as a vessel. 24-48 hours and you’ve got bone fragments and the remaining goo lacks recoverable DNA. Dilute with water and it’s as sewer safe as drain cleaner.

(Just a writer, I swear to ghu.)

14 Likes

Carpet and quicklime is just for composting my veggies, I swear!

9 Likes

Replacing the dog-befouled carpet in the living room with luxury vinyl tile planks. It’s not a perfect job but at least the floor will be 98% less squamous and noisome (if still kind of eldritch).

Also: music! Lots of music. I have just uploaded my 86th track of the year to starthief.net and my Youtube channel. I expect I’ll pass 250 if not 300 by the end of 2017. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Because all murders should be environmentally friendly. If I ever buried a corpse in my backyard I’d be worried about coliform bacteria getting into the ditch. And perhaps other things.

So far April has been wood butchery month, my efforts aren’t joinery, let alone cabinet making. How did I acquire so many power tools? And screws?

9 Likes

The problem with using acids is when the acids break down the sewer pipe, either between drain and property line, or just past the property line. The city’s gonna notice if they’re replacing the same blackwater pipe regularly.

9 Likes

Yes, always neutralise hydrochloric with slaked lime and sulphuric with sodium hydroxide. Be very careful when mixing NaOH with water, use a respirator. Or get your potential victim to do it.
This dark theme is getting to me.

9 Likes
6 Likes

I like your style.

5 Likes

Do we ignore those bags of lime as well?

5 Likes

Aside from the web service I’m building for a client, and that’s not exactly something I can show right now, I’ve been having a bit of fun cooking. This is a seafood paella I made this week. This is only the second time I’ve made this dish and I was really happy with how it turned out. (I don’t normally make a habit of taking pictures of my food!)

Shrimp, arborio rice, chicken broth, onions, and tomatoes. I’d eat this several times a week if I could, but the partner I live with says “no.”

19 Likes

As a change from the crafting threads I’m usually on, I’m finding it rather refreshing. Not sure what that says about me.

On the crafting front, I am still working on Using Up All the Yarn. This has had a fun side effect in that big projects that are fun to make but totally not my style are suddenly viable. Last summer I crocheted a queen-size blanket that looked kind of Mexican/bohemian (imagine a hippy who got seriously into Frida Kahlo). I loved making it, it used up lots of yarn, and I was more than happy to donate it when it was done because it didn’t go with any of the furniture.

Someday all my yarn will fit in the storage allocated for it. But it is not this day.

14 Likes

That looks delicious. How well does it sear on the bottom in cast iron? I’ve always meant to try but never had the nerve.

5 Likes

That’s why you order the plumber to replace your lead with PVC before you make the corpse.

9 Likes