Marjins Þridus

The quick & easy version is just “hang on a second, there’s someone at the door”. Then put the phone down, wander off and do the laundry or somesuch.

Get it right and they’ll be waiting for ten minutes, during which they can’t scam anyone else.

7 Likes

What needs to happen is a reasonably simple AVR (Automated Voice Response) system to be made available that you can transfer the scammers to.

They call you, you tell them you need to transfer them to the other line, AVR picks up and strings them along as long a possible.

2 Likes

I guess this illustrates that Hobby Lobby and Masterpiece Cakeshop are incompatible with nondiscrimination law regarding private parties. But this lawsuit goes beyond that:

Is the long truce over? Are the wars of religion to resume?

5 Likes

Ahaha what truce? The Religious Right has always been at war with progress.

If the ballot measure succeeds, Mormon landlords would be forced to rent to medical marijuana cardholders and people who use cannabis — or as the group states in their latest lawsuit, “mind-altering drugs, substances and chemicals” — violating Mormon code, the Salt Lake Tribune reported.

What about people who use prescription drugs, including mood-altering drugs, antidepressants, harsh painkillers, and sleep aids? Of all the things I’ve been prescribed for depression, marijuana has worked the best and has had the least amount of side effects.

Also, what about CBD oil? It has medical uses but does not cause intoxication.

3 Likes

Also recall that one common LDS doctrine considers alcohol and caffeine to be “mind-altering drugs, substances and chemicals.” Which, you know, they are, but I don’t see them raising the same kind of moral panic about renting their apartments out to coffee-drinkers.

6 Likes

Long Truce: the general sense that toleration isn’t persecution.

I don’t seriously expect a renewal of the Expulsion of the Hugenots or the 30 Years’ War, but when people decide toleration is persecution, without secular arguments against what they don’t tolerate, I don’t know how far they’ll take it.

2 Likes

As I said, we’ve never had that.

2 Likes

And pain can increase pain sensitivity…

3 Likes

Assholes taking extermination as a joke. Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, blocked, and I hope if any of you were fans of that site you can block them too.

http://languagehat.com/on-teaching-useless-grammar/

2 Likes

“If a soldier in the culture wars cannot find a hill to die on, then she is obligated to imagine one.”

2 Likes

You know what I’m dealing with. Unless safety and accessibility standards change, I’m unable to do a lot of things, and I’m likely to get killed-- by safety signals.

So I can’t ignore wider attitudes towards disability.

2 Likes

Someone’s been firing 3-strobe bursts.

I can’t see who’s firing them, because strobe weapons blind me, among all other other neurological effects.

But I think they were coming from the direction of the mailboxes, and I suspect they may be new dangerous hazard lights for postal trucks.

Any idea?

Pretty sure firing strobes so fast violates current safety standards, as well as reckless endangerment laws.

1 Like

Getting around the neighborhood shouldn’t involve getting stalked by the fearbeasts or hit by the pain-machines.

1 Like

More backup stabbers.

1 Like
4 Likes

Well, there goes Firefox…

I am currently using Waterfox, but can’t get MacOS to recognize it as my default browser.

I tested Nightly to see if a bug persisted. It did. I lost my user styles when I returned to Firefox. I ended up backing up my bookmarks and trying to restore my Firefox user settings from Time Machine. That broke Firefox. I lost all my basic preferences such as killing smooth scrolling and killing image.animation_mode and killing the thrice-cursed ui.caretBlinkTime and the rest-- too many to keep track of-- and I lost the ability to use menus and keyboard shortcuts.

Fuck.

3 Likes

I don’t know about you, but for me, playing and imagining is more fun than just playing and winning. Both together can be fun.

With a pure strategy game, like Chess or Go, if you play the game, you may develop a better understanding of the rules and the game.

With a well-designed thematic strategy game, of the Ring-quest, you can get a better understanding of the story, and you may or may not learn the designer’s interpretation of the work. (For example, if the Eagles were willing to carry the fellowship, I think their presence would have revealed their intent, and doomed then to the Nazgul above Gorgoroth. But you may think otherwise.)

With a well-designed thematic strategy game, of, for example, the space race to the early 1970s, you can get a better understanding of the expected and real technical challenges, and perhaps the budgetary ones. (For example, testing was harder, as Apollo 1 demonstrates, and heavy booster design was as hard as expected, as repeated failures of the N-1 demonstrate, while rendezvous wasn’t as hard as initially expected. Here the designer, and the players, can ground their interpretation.)

With a well-told roleplaying game, you can get a better understanding of yourself, of other people, and of people in the setting.

And have fun doing so.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Loss of bodily autonomy, forced abortions, lack of civil rights:

7 Likes

Turns out part 2 has strobing.

1 Like