Marjins Þridus

Because tea can worsen hyperacusis, and is known to worsen tinnitus, I’m trying to get back off it. Day 4 of titrating down. I’m wavering between exhausted and strangely alert, which isn’t good for sleep.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Does anyone know a good way to scan notebooks and papers without worsening rsi? preferably one that works with Epson scanners, and either works with their horrendous drivers or substitutes better drivers.

1 Like

So I haven’t been able to take the bus in years.

I talked my brother into helping me to today’s protest.

He says he’ll tell me when it’s time to catch the bus. Now “We’ve got one minute. If we hurry, we can catch the bus.” So he runs across the highway, and the bus arrives, even before I can get to the less-dangerous crosswalk, let alone try to find the bus stop on my own.

I don’t know if he caught the bus, but I couldn’t fucking cross the highway!

I thought he had a better idea of my disabilities and how they affect things.

7 Likes

Uggh, that sucks.

I often have to help my mother out, so I know that I need to figure out the bus schedule based on how quickly she can get from point A to point B, not how quickly I could get there if I weren’t accompanying her.

5 Likes

I try to avoid many crosswalks, because I have to avoid turn signals. I guess maybe he thought since I sometimes cross without crosswalks, I can cross anywhere… rather than I have to avoid crossing at dangerous places. And I take a long time, longer if there’s a school bus or ambulance firing its weapons and I have to wait until it’s done before I can see again.

P.S. And not being able to look for traffic or see if it’s approaching makes many places more dangerous than otherwise.

4 Likes

I guess I should be more up-front about my disabilities and my needs. I just don’t know how to explain my needs.

2 Likes

When you have hyperacusis, so 65 decibels is incapacitating, and a helicopter is buzzing the neighborhood and reaching 80 dB on its closest passes, and you have an atypical head shape or ear canal shape so your 26 nrr plugs and 30 nrr non-emergency protectors only provide 14dB of attenuation.

4 Likes

Awful migraine and nausea today. I think I’ve been working myself too hard, but I’m making too little progress on my game notes.

4 Likes

How many more accidents will this cause?

3 Likes

In theory, it shouldn’t be that much worse than animated bill boards.

In practice… That positioning looks like it has a very high risk of blocking the passenger-side blind spot, making it much less safe to perform lane changes.

3 Likes

So blinding, disorienting, etc., and mounted on moving vehicles, present when people are trying to cross at intersections, disorienting people into intersections…

Why is it legal for ads to endanger people?

4 Likes

Because the people making the laws are the ones benefitting from the ads, and not the ones being endangered?

6 Likes

I don’t know what to say here. Any suggestions?

https://www.afsc.org/action/speak-out-against-immigrant-family-detention#

2 Likes

First, how the fuck is that supposed to help?

Second, how the fuck is that not supposed to help the Nazis?

Third, this is another reason why I can’t shrug off the slurs.

4 Likes

I wonder if someone makes custom ear plugs?

Have you tried the ones that are made for swimming, made of pliable silicon?

2 Likes

Yes. I can wear Macks’ kids-size, or a half-amount of these mold-your-own. I can’t wear adult size, or conventional ear plugs, or buds. I get about 5 dB attenuation from the Macks’, and about 6 dB attenuation from the others.

I don’t know what’s going on, but I can never get more than 1/4 the rated protection from plugs or protectors.

3 Likes

With your condition, that really sucks. I’m sorry. I know it’s tough to get to a doctor, but I do wonder if an ENT could have a pair made for you…

3 Likes

It gets weirder…

2 Likes

I mean, I think that support for eugenics types solutions come from one of two places - obvious racism and ignorance about the history of the eugenics movement, and where it led. The further we move away in history from the holocaust, the more people can easily ignore why that happened and the role that eugenics thinking played in the rise of the nazis and the shaping of their policies. Most people don’t realize that one of the very first people targeted by the nazis were disabled people, who they were attempting to “cleanse” from the gene pool. It’s a major failure of our public education system.

3 Likes