Marjins Þridus

Or you could have a whirling blade pop out of the front to, uh… warn people of an approaching vehicle so they can get out of the way.

3 Likes

I’ll have to check my dictionary, but, last time I checked, “impossible” and “requires diligent quality control” weren’t synonyms.

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant never ever solvable or soluble, plus real world qualifications… wait, I did that already. I think I’m good with what I wrote.

2 Likes

Okay, which of the following do you believe:

1. It is impossible for the vehicle to reliably determine that an object in its path is not moving (or not moving at car speed),
  2. It is impossible for the vehicle to reliably determine its own speed,
  3. It is impossible for a vehicle to determine its own stopping distance,
  4. Given #1, #2, and #3, it is impossible for the vehicle to reliably determine that it will impact said stationary object, or
  5. It is impossible to program a vehicle that can reliably determine that an impact is about to occur at speed to automatically engage its brakes.

…Because #1 seems really easy to determine using lidar; #2 is technology that is over a century old; #3 seems pretty easy to determine using testing and self-monitoring, and #4 is a trivial application of simple math.

My understanding, given references to physical controls, was that you meant #5: that, given the ability to know for certain that an impact is about to occur, that it would be impossible to program a car to stop if it determines that that’s about to occur. Which is already being built into cars: the only component currently missing is the lidar, to do reliable range-finding.

If that’s not the case, please correct me where I’m wrong: which of the five elements of determining that an impact is about to occur and stopping is (are?) impossible?

2 Likes

Yeah. It could miss someone moving out in front, but not someone standing there.

2 Likes
  1. Marketing is unable to override shit software and sensor engineering.

1-5 don’t work the way you think they do, especially with lidar. The stuff isn’t magic.

2 Likes

Well, yes, but I thought that the discussion was about preventing deliberate homicide, not some distracted/drunk/foolish/suicidal individual stepping out in front of a moving vehicle.

That, again, seems to fall under “requires diligent quality control,” not “impossible.”

Enlighten me.

1 Like

Why do people post moderation guidelines, if they’re not going to use them? and if they’re going to ban people for not going against them?

42%20AM

12%20AM

3 Likes

It looks like I may be denied Medicaid due to my disabilities.

I have been trying to apply for Medicaid, and am encountering a lot of problems.

If I try to apply online, I have to provide a contact phone number. I can’t do that.

If I encounter problems applying online, I am supposed to call a certain number. I can’t do that.

Since I tried to apply in person, and noted that I have hyperacusis, they’re demanding much more documentation, and demanding that I apply for ssdi. I am disabled, and rely on my family for support, so I am not eligible for ssdi. In order to even apply, I have to provide a contact phone number. I can’t do that.

If I want to communicate by email, instead of by pain, I have to provide a contact pain number. I can’t do that.

Also,

https://uncommonculture.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/6169/4904

2 Likes

What state do you live in? Maybe one of us knows someone who could provide manual assistance?

2 Likes

In Virginia.

2 Likes

I have an internet friend in Virginia, but I’m not sure what city. Let me speak with her to see if she has any ideas or people who could provide some physical assistance to get past this obstacle.

I really don’t know what the response will be, so please bear with me.

4 Likes

Medicaid application denied.

No explanation given.

No explanation how this is supposed to square with their previous request for certain extra information-- not legally required-- by the 20th.

Just an explanation of how to set up a do not resuscitate order.

2 Likes

Since I cannot use phones, does anyone know how to get through the healthcare.gov site in less than 90 minutes without being able to use phones? It won’t let me select any plan except Virginia Medicaid.

1 Like

Fucking construction pain all day. 68 db + backup beaters + strobe weapons so I can’t look and see what’s going on while it’s going on.

3 Likes

Hey, MarjaE…

I’m sorry, but I didn’t get the response from the person in Virginia I was hoping for.

I even explained that all I was looking for was just a quiet, helpful human being to help with accessing the disability page, but maybe I wasn’t convincing enough.

I’m sorry.

5 Likes

Garbage truck, this time stopped and not firing backup incapacitators, but still firing horns and strobe weapons at something well over 5 Hz.

For some reason my tumblr hasn’t been deleted yet. So I thought I’d share:

https://ananiujitha.tumblr.com/post/181462423825/just-so-you-know

Text

just so you know

fogblogger:

thatdiabolicalfeminist:

the US minimum wage that we all agree is too low to live on ($15,080/yr) is far more than many legally disabled people receive in benefits

the maximum SSI for a single person is $8,796/yr
if a disabled person marries another, each drops to a max of $6,600/yr

while you’re fighting for 15 maybe look at that too

Not to mention we aren’t allowed to have more than $2,000 saved at a time. EVER. Like EVER or we lose all benefits completely. In the bank, in cash, it doesn’t matter. The government literally keeps us poor, while also making us pay immense amounts of money for health care that we require to even survive or function (let alone work enough to be able to get off of benefits, not to mention that there are a ton of people who will never be able to do that anyways). It’s a very, very broken system and not one that was ever meant to actually help anyone.

Plus, “marriage equality” is still a huge problem for disabled people (as you can see), which is something almost everyone is ignorant to/doesn’t care about.

DO NOT LEAVE DISABLED PEOPLE OUT OF YOUR ACTIVISM.

(via accessibilityfails)

8 Likes
5 Likes

Accepted for Medicaid after all!

12 Likes