Marjins Þridus

Of course Project Veritas spy for the police, as well as publishing disinformation for the Republican Party…

1 Like

Torture state:

1 Like

It is absolutely fascinating the small handful of papers that bigots grab on to to justify their beliefs. The Swedish paper (that doesn’t actually have any negative interpretations, but is constantly misread anyway), and the “desistence” paper (again – grossly misrepresented) are the 2 academic papers that probably 90% of transphobes rely on. Throw in Blanchard & co for the remaining 10% and any unbiased individual would be shocked at the poor sourcing of these claims.

5 Likes

Maybe a help thread on executive function would be a good idea:

https://theestablishment.co/i-thought-i-was-lazy-the-invisible-day-to-day-struggle-for-autistic-women-6268515175f3

I have no sense of interval time, trouble keeping track of things, and due to my chronic illness, post-exertional migraines if I overwork myself.

3 Likes

I’m with you on that one. :confused:

When I was manic, it was if a month or two disappeared every time I blinked. I still routinely lose track of what day/month/year it is.

At the moment, I’m having a lot of trouble remembering whether or not I’ve already taken my meds for the day. Worried about accidentally overdosing; I should probably get some sort of daily pill-box setup.

4 Likes

I don’t know how anyone could say that Autistic people are neat and tidy. Have they never met one?

Of course, it doesn’t help that nobody believes us when we talk about our problems, unless some mousy little grad student or autism figurehead says our problems are real, or it was the subject of some Very Special Autism Episode on some insipid TV show. Gah. Then, every Joe Blow out there will think every Autistic person has this trait and it manifests in exactly the same way all the time.

Speaking of which, they mentioned both Parenthood and Atypical, both of which are extremely white, extremely privileged two dimensional portrayals of autism. These shows are both condescending in how they treat us, and just wrong.

8 Likes

Wrote this several months ago: “Freedom of Speech and Open Discussion”

https://marjaerwin.dreamwidth.org/107630.html

3 Likes

The original work that is the basis for TERF transphobia is by John Money who “proved” that gender identity was learned by “successfully” bringing up a boy who had a botched circumcision as a girl.

That “girl” was David Reimer, and he rejected his forced gender identity before his teens, yet we still have people claim that as gender identity is not innate therefore transgender can not exist.

I accept that gender roles are not innate, but that’s something completely different.

7 Likes

It’s more complicated.

Dworkin accepted Money’s claims, and at least initially supported trans people. (Woman Hating, 1974.)

Raymond couldn’t check Money’s claims, but she criticized his work, and she rejected his idea of a “critical stage,” while condemning trans people. (The Transsexual Empire, at least the 1994 edition.)

I’ve encountered various counter-explanations. For example, that someone in Australia confirms Money’s conclusions, that David Reimer was cut up after the critical period, or that David Reimer would have been a girl but identified as a boy to escape abuse.

But David Reimer wasn’t and isn’t alone:

2 Likes
4 Likes

Oh gosh, I have so much to say about this. I realize of course that in a group of 3 trans people we could probably have some pretty energetic arguments about gender, but I’m gonna try to wade carefully into that.

I spent much of one summer reading books by that generation of psychologists and I’m actually thinking about blogging my way through a reread of Robert Stoller’s Sex and Gender. This was essentially when psychologists captured the subject of transsexuality in the public imagination – before that, trans people strictly just expected they’d need to ask all around to find a doctor who was willing to treat them, and after this it seems doctors increasingly expected trans people to have some kind of psychiatric sign off that they were “really” transgender, as if a psychiatrist had some kind of special insight into the patient’s mind, to determine what their gender “really” was.

But I don’t think these theories strongly played into the origins of trans exclusion in second wave feminism. Remember, second wave feminism also notably had problems including the experiences of lower class women (including sex workers), and non-white women. Just to quote from the Wikipedia article on “white feminism”:

Second-wave feminism, particularly at its outset, was similarly shaped by middle-class, educated white women, and again did not tend to consider issues relevant specifically to ethnic minority women.[8]

During the second and third-wave feminist periods, scholars from marginalised communities began to write back against the way feminist movements had been essentializing the experiences of women. The notable feminist scholar bell hooks brought this issue to the forefront of feminist thought, regularly writing about the struggles that black women experienced and emphasizing that the feminist movement was exclusionary towards those women by virtue of its inattention to the interactions between race, gender, and class.[9] Hooks argued that white women should recognise that they, like ethnic minority men, occupied a position of being both oppressed while also being oppressors.

So if second wave feminism had trouble incorporating the experiences and needs of other races and classes, without any particular theory justifying that, it didn’t actually need a theory to exclude people of trans history either. To put it simply, the founders of that movement had privileges they weren’t prepared to examine as they perhaps hoped to join in wielding the awesome, unchecked power allotted to white middle-class men. These limitations of perspective are why intersectional feminism has largely succeeded 70s-style radical feminism and naturally supports a larger, more diverse following.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Also trained police in the use of oc- which the police use for torture.

2 Likes

https://theestablishment.co/the-hidden-battle-for-the-rights-of-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-sufferers-cd20bef0f13a

2 Likes
3 Likes

:𐍃𐌺𐌰𐌻·𐍅𐌴𐌹𐍃𐍉𐌽·𐍃𐌺𐌰𐍄𐍄𐌾𐌰𐌽𐍃·𐌰𐌺·𐍅𐌹𐌲𐍃·𐌹𐍃𐍄·𐌷𐌿𐌽𐌳𐌹𐍃·𐍆𐌿𐌻𐌻𐍃:

(Skal weison skatjans ak wigs ist hundis fulls.)

1 Like

𐌼𐌴𐌹𐌽 𐌿𐍆𐌰𐍂𐍅𐌰𐍄𐌰𐍃𐌺𐌹𐍀 𐌹𐍃𐍄 𐌴𐌻𐌴 𐍆𐌿𐌻𐌻

4 Likes

Does this say “the banker owes the village, but the road is full of dogs?”

3 Likes

I ought to visit the bankers (accusative plural) but the way/road is full of dogs.

3 Likes
2 Likes